Predator fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I'm addicted to getting a predatory fish!
I have a 40 gallon right now and what fish could I have that is a predator.
I want to feed it live fish and watch them get eaten, kinda cruel but awesome!
Any suggestions. I know my LFS has red tail barracuda right now???

But they are not predators, plus I already have 1 but would get rid of it and many other fish that are in the tank now. And the tank is planted, I forgot to add that.

Oscars, do they like plants how about peacock bass. Would they be fine with feeder guppies?

FreshwaterTropical said:
Oscars, do they like plants how about peacock bass. Would they be fine with feeder guppies?

IMO all of these fish get too big for a 40 gal. And your guppies will be food if you leave them in there. You might be alright with an Oscar but not a peacock bass you will need hundreds of gallons of water to home these fish.

I don't have guppies, but are they good food for oscars? What do they eat? Some people say pellets, others say only live feeder fish?

My cichlids sure like to kill and eat things. Lol. I have a blue crawfish that will kill anything you put in there. I feed him rosy red minnows and it's really interesting to watch. I enjoy him. If you got a few of them (2 or 3 maximum) and let them grow up in the tank together and keep them well fed, i think you would really like them. I wish I had known that when I got mine. Now he is just a monster! :lol:

Attachments

• image-784876956.jpg
    image-784876956.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 100
FreshwaterTropical said:
Yeah I thought of that, but really like to keep my peacock eel.

Ahh. Yeah. That is a pretty cool fish. They had some the other day at my lfs. There aren't many cool things that can live with cichlids, but supposedly they can. I think that will be my next purchase! Hope you find the something cool that you're looking for. :)

jmay33 said:
Ahh. Yeah. That is a pretty cool fish. They had some the other day at my lfs. There aren't many cool things that can live with cichlids, but supposedly they can. I think that will be my next purchase! Hope you find the something cool that you're looking for. :)

Yeah they are pretty cool.

FreshwaterTropical said:
I don't have guppies, but are they good food for oscars? What do they eat? Some people say pellets, others say only live feeder fish?

I try to stay away from feeder fish. They can be disease factories. I feed my cichlids only NLS pellets and have done wonderfully for the past 3 years. The NLS really helps bring out colors and is really well balanced diet.

Rlavassor86 said:
I try to stay away from feeder fish. They can be disease factories. I feed my cichlids only NLS pellets and have done wonderfully for the past 3 years. The NLS really helps bring out colors and is really well balanced diet.

^^^ this is really good advice. It's what I do for my cichlids and they're really healthy and happy.

FreshwaterTropical said:

Oscars destroy light rooted plants... Guppies are okay(better)every once in a while if they are quarantined and have no disease. A 55g is good for an Oscar

jmay33 said:

If the eel is big enough and you start with a small Oscar they should be fine together I did that and my Oscar lives with a rainbow shark now0-•

Loading... said:
Oscars destroy light rooted plants... Guppies are okay(better)every once in a while if they are quarantined and have no disease. A 55g is good for an Oscar

But he has a 40. N thats not big enough

Back
Top Bottom