Predator Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xTylerLairx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just about to finish my 125 community tank. Angels/Raphaels/pleco/pecalita/BGR/dwarf-powder gourami's/ hujeta gars.

And as you all know, there is no way I can have just ONE tank, and being the super tough macho man type, I am looking into a predator tank. Being that I am a college student, I am looking into something cheap(er)

From what I have heard Red Wolf Fish and Birchirs are a good combo and can be kept in relativly small and simple tanks, and feed off of night crawlers and such. I am also willingt o get ahold of a 10 gallon feeder tank, I know of plenty of those I can have a feeder tank set up quickly.

That being said, I am wondering what kind of fish I would be able to easily maintain that are predators. I don't really have much space, so I am not looking for a large or expensive set up. If anyone has any advice as to other predators that are inexpensive and dont need a large tank, thanks in advance

cant go wrong with a single guapote. id suggst a jaguar or dovii, but RTM and freddies are nice too.

I am looking for something bright and flashy too. Cichlids are great, but I never really got into them. I am not sure why.

What size tank are you planning on putting these fish in? Am i misunderstanding? I was under the impression that you were just wanting to set up a 10g...

No, I want a larger tank than 10g. but not too big, I want it to be a centerpiece for my bedroom perhaps. I suggested a 10g for a feeder breeder, so my predator can have it's corresponding prey. I am obsessed with bowfronts, I am thinking about getting a smaller one, maybe 16 gallon?

I was thinking between 30 and 40 gallons for a tank, again...the 10 is for some feeder guppies or the like.

any input now?

even with a tank that size youre limited. are you looking to get a single predator in that tank?
maybe a dwarf channa, if you can get them (if theyre even legal to keep in your area), or some kind of puffer.

i personally would go with a small shoal exodons. but (as you can tell by the SN) that is my personal opinion/ obsession. lol

yeah, single and maybe a buddy. i am not sure what is and what isnt legal hear, i am good friends with the guy who own our LFS so he hooks it up

that would be good info to know. lol. tank size and availability are going to be major factors.
if you dont want cichlids, you can try dwarf channa, dwarf pikes, some kind of leaf fish (nandus nandus), Senegal Bichir, some kind of puffer (Tetraodon Miurus are pretty rugged)
and yes, i purposely left out P's, as i find them to be extremely lame. lol

or like i said, you could go with a few of these guys.

YouTube - Exodon swarm VS Market Prawn

The Nandus Looks mildly interesting, do the exodon need to be in groups?. Also, Dwarf Pike? never hear of them

Nandus Nandus look coot, and are definitely a good addition to an oddball collection, but a lot of people get bored of them. They're ambush predators, and will likely hide in plants a lot of the time. Also IME, they are difficult to ween off of live foods.

Exodons need to be in a group of 10 or more. But a shoal of 10 exodons will do well in a tank 30g and up

Man oh Man, I was just looking around the fabulous internet, and I came across Snake heads. Anyone have a time machine so I can get one before it was Illegal. I have caught on here in PA, but I wasnt involved in the aquarium game then(I was 10).

Dwarf channa would be small enough, but most get WAAAY too big.
Maybe rainbows too. I don't remember their sizes off hand.
Too bad they're illegal in your state.

Dwarfs are illegal? what exactly would the punishment be for that sort of investment? I a very good friends with the owner of our LFS

Wow the exodons look awesome! I think I am a new fan, now only to find some...thanks

Back
Top Bottom