Predator Tank, part Deuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well i don't have the space to do my predetor tank i want, but i want to make my community tank and i see Albino neon tetras on there, i now want a school of albino neon tetras. Thanks for the reply.

I'm not a fan of schooling fish.. except for the Congo Tetra's.. dunno why but those are sweet looking.

I'm not a fan of schooling fish.. except for the Congo Tetra's.. dunno why but those are sweet looking.

Ya, neither am i usually, but i like the rummynose for some reason. I also like clown loaches as well. But i think it would be cool to have regulkar neons with albinos mixed in.

Ya, neither am i usually, but i like the rummynose for some reason. I also like clown loaches as well. But i think it would be cool to have regulkar neons with albinos mixed in.

I plan on adding clown loaches to my red wolf tank.. once I upgrade it (maybe before :) )..

Anyway, I'm going to add a few more bichirs, couple more cats and some clown loaches. Clowns are just awesome, very amusing. The first group I had freaked me out big time when I saw them all laying on their side as if they were dead. I tapped on the glass and they took off, at the time I didn't know they lay down to sleep :D

lol, are you planning on upgrading that tank? Because a 50g breeder is not a good permanent home for bichirs and a school of clown loaches. Sorry, not trying to teach the master but are you planning on upgrading.

lol, are you planning on upgrading that tank? Because a 50g breeder is not a good permanent home for bichirs and a school of clown loaches. Sorry, not trying to teach the master but are you planning on upgrading.

Haha.. did you read my post? "I plan on adding clown loaches to my red wolf tank.. once I upgrade it (maybe before :) ).." ;)

Yea I plan on upgrading both of my tanks, probably next year sometime. Last year I sold my 150g, 125g and 120g tanks leaving me only with these two 50g since I was downsizing. But.. I'm planning on building another over / under setup which in turn will only take up a 7x3 foot area. The red wolf tank with be the top aquarium, probably 125g (72x18 footprint) and the mala's tank will most likely be a 180g (72x24x24), and I'll sell these two 50g breeders.

But to go back to your comment a 50g breeder in my foot print actually would hold all of those fish for a very long time. Upper jaw bichirs typically max out around 12" in home aquaria. The red wolf max's around 9" and the clown loaches do get to 12" but to achieve that size takes 6-10 years. But I'm a firm believer in under stocking so I wont :)

Wow, i have been not reading post completely lately. But ya i figured you would upgrade.

Yea.. it's one of those weeks.. I know how ya feel.

Ha, I am glad you guys are totally BFFs now! lol. I am going ot pick up my new tank for my wolf this week. Im so excited, i snagged a 45gal, biowheel400 heater, matching hood and stand, and custom light, and substrate for $150. Too good of a deal to pass up, even if i didnt want to make a new tank i would have had to get it, granted i have to drive 2 hours ot get it, but my car gets 45mpg :D

I decided on a singular Suncat, and my wolf to be partners in this tank, real simple like. I am getting a deal on the suncat, who is at 5 inches, and more or less I am paying $1 per inch of fish! I am getting the hook up on red and brown flourite for the bottom, since I don't wanna use the substrate from the old tank (river rock and blue pebbles).

Finally, since I have actually been having good luck, I am getitng 2 driftwood stumps for each fish to have their own home! and I am getting them for cheap. Probably the best upcoming birthday yet!

Let me know what you guys think, I have head good things about suncats and wolfs living together, but I could be wrong

Sounds like a plan. What are the dimensions on the 45? Did you figure out where you will order the wolf from? Massive Aggression has them in stock atm.. 3-6".

I'm picking up a 75g this weekend. Gonna replace one of my 50g breeders with it and use the 50g as a growout tank until I do my new over under.

I really miss my suncats.. probably gonna pick up a couple more.. (yes I really miss a lot of fish). I need to stop selling all my tanks and fish, in this case though I had to otherwise my Dovii would have killed them.

the 45 is a taller one, 36 1/4-12 5/8-23 3/4 I beleive. I was looking to get a rainbow wolf, and I am getting such great deals, but I need to wait for my tank to cycle before I get ANYTHING luckily I have the same filter on my 125, so I am gonna steal those wheels and a substrate and the Bio Bag from my qua clear to really boost that cycle process! but I am only gonna have 2 fish in there, named after my grandfathers....both of which have passed

Grow out tank for what?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm looking to pick up two Irwini catfish and grow them out. They are one of the only fish that I can think of which would stand a chance in a tank with my Mala.

My wish list.. it will be years before it's complete though

2x Irwini's to house with my Mala
4-5 Clown loaches
1x Fire eel
1 - 2 Delhezi Bichirs
1 - 2 Weeksii Bichirs
2x Marbled Raphaels
L-091 Three Beacon Pleco
L-024 Flame Pleco

I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm looking to pick up two Irwini catfish and grow them out. They are one of the only fish that I can think of which would stand a chance in a tank with my Mala.

My wish list.. it will be years before it's complete though

2x Irwini's to house with my Mala
4-5 Clown loaches
1x Fire eel
1 - 2 Delhezi Bichirs
1 - 2 Weeksii Bichirs
2x Marbled Raphaels
L-091 Three Beacon Pleco
L-024 Flame Pleco

That is 1 nice list, i am saving up for my monster tank now so that i can make my predetor/oddball tank. Even though now you are tempting me to try a wolf.:D

That is 1 nice list, i am saving up for my monster tank now so that i can make my predetor/oddball tank. Even though now you are tempting me to try a wolf.:D

So I'm out of town for my 11th anniversary and we stop by the LFS.. And they have this...

Pterodoras granulosus • Doradidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

$60.. which isn't too bad considering it's local but I think I'm going to hold off.. i could get 2 irwini's for that price online. I'm still debating though so I'll let y'all know when i get home tonight :D

so I have been talking to nate from mass aggression and he wants ot sell me 2 wolfs, for sexing, and said something about a blue faced as well, will my wolf do just fine as a solo fish? and what is a blue faced wolf?

No, don't get two. Red wolves do not do well together unless in a HUGE tank (200g or more). They are very territorial to their own kind.

I'm no sure what a blue faced wolf is unless he is referring to a mala with a blue tint. My mala has a blue tint it it's body. Definitely do not order a mala unless you plan on having a bare minimum of 75g devoted only to him. They typically do not accept tank mates. My avatar is a pic of my mala.

I just checked his site and his mala's are from ecuador (like mine). Ecuador mala's typically have the blue tint.

Thanks Mud, you are a lifesaver. I am going to pick up my tank this week. I got such an absurd deal! Once I get it set up I will be posting pictures as I go, along with the pictures of my 125 community that I have YET to post :silly: I am so lazy sometimes haha! What would you suggest as a feeding plan for this bad boy? I am thinking the cheapest route possible, while keeping my baby in good health, and some treats for a little smile time(gotta see those teeth in action once and a while).:slurp:

The best meal for carnivouris fish or what i have always used is worms, silversides and shrimp. And as a treat (especially a predetor) like feeder fish. I would breed my own but that is up 2 u. You could do feeder fish from the pet store or breed guppies.

Here is what I feed my red wolf.

Hikari Carnivore pellets as a staple, market shrimp, krill, worms, tilapia and beefheart as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom