Predators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Map of piranha legality by state, as described on MFK awhile back.

attachment.php

What do you feed Wolf Fish?

The mala: Tilapia fillets, shrimp, beefheart and Hikaria Cichlid pellets.

The red wolf: Tilapia fillets, shrimp, beefheart and Hikari Carnivore pellets.

Lexilove said:
What about a spotted gar? A pacu piranha? You can find more info about them on azgardens.com under testosterone fish.

Spotted gar get to 4 feet..and pacus are vegetarian and I think need a larger tank

I have a rope fish tire track eel and poly bichrir living all together in 1 tank plus a few more meat eaters fun to watch feed guppy fry rosy minnows and ghost shrimp black worms plus earth worms fun to watch them eat but they go fast in a blink of an eye(y)

tarpon said:
Spotted gar get to 4 feet..and pacus are vegetarian and I think need a larger tank

Pacus need a huge tank at least 200 gallons!

I think I would put some pictus cats in there. Small but carnivorous and active.

They are also known as "buck tooth tetras" truly a awesome school of little predatory fish. I have been wanting to set up a tank of them for years now. Could add like 20(they grow 3-4") of them and some sort of armored cat at the bottom. They are highly aggressive and VERY nippy. (can not shred feeders but they do go nuts like little parinha)

Also some other fish. Jack Dempsey, red devil/midas, green terror. (note some of these can outgrow a 55 but not for a few years)

You could do smaller breeding pairs of aggressive fish as well, convicts/fire mouths/salvini's/severums just to name a few. (breeding mixed with natural tempers = super aggression) almost all these will grow to size to eat smaller fish/shrimp.

Lastly I'll leave a tad bit a wisdom, though I agree it's cool to watch fish that eat smaller fish in preditory mode. It is absolutely in no way to go about feeding them. A good grade of pellet food should always be the staple of any hobby fishes diet. It offers much more healthy/color factors. Along with frozen foods.

I to still feed feeders but maybe... Once ever 2-3 months and it's always after a 2week qt. where I feed the feeders good flake food and keep an eye out for sickness. Not so much with ghost shrimp, but I also haven't feed them GS in probably a year. I much prefer live crickets to shrimp.

Anyways not trying to grill ya, just a heads up so you don't walk into feeding feeders that often carry illnesses/offer no nutritional value.

Good luck.

I just want to say, I looked up the exodon tetra and found it grows to six inches and a 55 is suitable for 4-5.

emerald76 said:
I just want to say, I looked up the exodon tetra and found it grows to six inches and a 55 is suitable for 4-5.

You don't want to have 4-5 at a time. In smaller numbers they will destroy each other.

Predfan27 said:
You don't want to have 4-5 at a time. In smaller numbers they will destroy each other.

The person who wrote the article I read said to buy them all at the same size at the same time and they will be fine. They had succeeded with only three of them using that method.

They get to about 3-4 inches in captivity(mostly 3). They are a relative of the Piranha and a schooling fish. They must be kept in groups of 8 or more or else they will fight with each other. Larger groups are better(15+). They are carnivorous obviously and will eat live food.(gold fish, minnows, etc) they are a greenish color and one of their common names is the Bucked Tooth Tetra. They are highly aggressive and like I said. They are mini Piranha! I think 20-30 would work in a 55.

emerald76 said:

6 inches is their max in the wild. They most likely will only reach 3 inches.

Shane87 said:
Type it in you tube :) I just watched some and they are crazy feeders!

Yeah it's awesome!! Better than Piranha IMO! I watched one where the guy had 90 in a 90 gallon tank. They seem to do well with live plants.

Back
Top Bottom