Predatory fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone know of any kewl looking predatory fish and I'm not interested in pirrannas, oscars, pacus, etc. I'm looking for exotic predators that swim around during the day

Most predatory fish are diurnal "daylight" hunters and sight is their main sensory input.
Nocturnal hunters primarily use the sense of smell.

I'm getting about three dwarf puffers soon for my 15g tank my big predatory tank is 40 gallons

Not yet but I will soon hopefully ill get a 100+ gallon tank it'd be nice and African hap never heard of it ill look it up

Check out toadfish! Aka freshwater lionfish. (They're actually brackish) they're not very active swimmers but they're very interesting. Kind of the brackish equivalent of an angler...without the lure.
Also a toadfish could fit in your 40g since they're not very active. They're. Ambush predators

Aski247 said:
Exodons, better known as buck tooth tetras. (poor mans piranha). Their awesome. Get like 15 of them or so. Would be a awesome set up.

I second this. They would qualify as swimming around. Idk about tank size though

yes i did i gave them to a couple friends that have 200 gallon tanks

oh and freshwatertropical i was actually doing research on the freshwater barracuda it looks real interesting but the fish store i go to has a needle nose gar and i kinda want that

Needle nose gar = very big, very strong, very aggressive fish. I don't remember your tank size but they need a pretty large one, so just make sure you do your research.

ok i will thnx for telling me i thought they didnt get very big so i will do some more research on those and its a 40 gallon

Online it says they max out at 1'6" and minimum tank size is 70g. a lot of aquariums around me have them and many other gar because we have gar in our lakes, the needle nose aren't the monsters we have in Texas but similar body types. I've never owned one, and never will so maybe someone with more experience can give you more in depth advice.

What about African butterfly fish? They are predators. They are not the most active, but since they stay at the top, you frequently see them.

Back
Top Bottom