Pregnant Danio - Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I added 2 Danio's to my tank,
I am aware that adding fish to a new tank is a good way to get them to spawn.
However 1 of my danio's is progressively getting fatter.
If she is pregant what do i do?
I only have a plastic tank without a lid and no filter,
So what do i do about her as she is an egg layer,
On other forums it says by letting her lay eggs in my tank,
And them not opening with babies - they will smell my tank out...
What do i do? I didnt want her to get pregnant specifically so...?
HELP x

Danios breed by spawning. The female will lay eggs and the male will come behind and fertilize them. To set up a breeding tank, you will need a heater, a filter, some plants (real or fake), and the tank will need to be cycled. You will also need to have a plan with what to do with the fry if they survive.

shes not pregnant, may be full of eggs though... if you dont want fry, do nothing... they will be eaten by your other fish

And if the fish dont eat all the eggs then what do i do?
I have heard the eggs will just rot and then they will stink as a result!
No - what do i do?
Help me??
I dont want babies in the first place but then what do i do?
Should i remove her and let her drop her eggs in a un-cycled tank without a filter and then put her back in her original tank? Will that work?
Hollie - Please help!
How long do i have?

i wouldnt worry with it... chances are the fish will eat the eggs anyways... if they dont, you can always suck them up when doing a gravel vac. thats if it is even full of eggs... mine got real fat after i got them... they just dont feed fish very good in stores, that may be the reason there...

i wouldnt worry with it... chances are the fish will eat the eggs anyways... if they dont, you can always suck them up when doing a gravel vac. thats if it is even full of eggs... mine got real fat after i got them... they just dont feed fish very good in stores, that may be the reason there...

Thanks for your very quick replies,
You have helped me alot.
My platy had live fry but popped before i had time to move her,
I got her on the 3rd and she was well fat, she popped on the 4th so...
I have 2 fry surviving in my tank with 1 sucking loach, 2 danio's and 1 albino paradise.
Thanks again for your reply.
I just needed to be re-assured - you said about the pet stores.
I feed twice a day and they nick all the food,
I got the danio's from a different pet store and they seem to be starving and steal all the food - that may be why.
But when i got my paradise from a different pet store that wasnt bothered about food - it just ate when it was hungry, wasnt greedy like the danio's.
That might be why.
Thanks again x

Back
Top Bottom