Pregnant fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it sitting at the bottom of the tank and not moving much?

It could be dropsy. I don't see any obvious pineconing but I have lost fish to drowsy that never displayed any pineconing.

Tiger barbs are egg layers, and the females are usually larger and rounder with an all black dorsal fin. They reach sexual maturity when they around 1 inch in length, so that may be the explanation for the change. Tiger barbs also tend to be pretty greedy eaters, and will usually fatten up quickly in a community aquarium. Do keep an eye out for any behavior changes, sluggishness, or clamped fins which are indicators of illness (like dropsy).

I had a molly that had dropsy, she was sluggish for a day then she bloated within a few hours I noticed it and didn't have time to take action and with in a 6 hour span she died. I would take veery quick action even if it isn't so clear what's wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im not sure what it is but now that i look at them, they both have been like this for a little while. I dont see any clamped fins or pineconeing. I think i have two females and as someone said they are both about an inch long so could be egg bearing but i dont have a male. Ill see if i can get a picture of them. Maybe you guys could help.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

This was the best i could get. They are active and not sluggish. Darting around with the other tetras. They ate this morning too, and none if my other fish seem to have a problem and ive had them for quite a while now.

Attachments

• 1421601581268.jpg
    1421601581268.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 71
Female fish can get egg bound when there is no male. Usually, after a time, the female will reabsorb the eggs. Sometimes, though, they'll get an impacted egg which is serious.

I have no experience dealing with impacted eggs personally but I believe it's pretty uncommon. I'd keep an eye out and wait.

Okay. Both my fish looked like females to me so that could be the case. Ill keep an eye out on them in particular

Okay nice! Glad they are looking happy and healthy. Dropsy is usually a secondary infection following other stresses like poor water quality or transport, and tiger barbs are usually very hardy so I would be surprised if they were affected when none of your other fish were

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom