Pregnant Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
The other day I brought 4 ghost shrimp and 2 died and the 2 I had left 1 male and one female and the female has eggs in her stomach that she is holding up with her fins. I dont know if they will survive I have a 10 gallon tank
1 Betta
3 Zebra Danio
1 long finned Danio
4 Neon Tetra
2 Cory Cats
2 oto catfish
2 Ghost shrimp

I also have all live plants and I brought a ball of some Java moss do you think the eggs will survive and hatch,and will the Java moss protect them from the other fish? I noticed the female goes and hides alot and sometimes I cant find her.

There are many species listed as "ghost" or "glass" shrimp. The majority require brackish conditions for their larval state. So it completely depends on the actual species. If they do survive, the young will be at risk from your fish, but some may make it. Good luck!

+1 for HN1.

The betta may eat some of the shrimplets. Otherwise, java moss does a pretty good job of hiding shrimp. I keep RCS in a tank stuffed with guppies and panda cories. I've heard that guppies eat shrimp in the wild, so I'm sure I lose some to them, but I have a thriving population of RCS.

yep 100% what the both said.... the more hiding spots you have for the shrimp where the fish cant get to the better the chance of them making it.

ok so do you think the mother shrimp will let her babies go in the java moss?

Odds on shrimplets surviving in a tank with fish are pretty low. Plus, ghost shrimp shrimplets are very, very hard to keep alive, they go through a planktonic (larval) stage where they are free-floating in the water and even if they fish don't eat them all, usually aquarium water does not have enough microfauna to keep them alive during that period. You can read about it here for a more detailed explanation of why it is almost impossible for the larvae to survive--even in a tank with no fish at all.

Odds on shrimplets surviving in a tank with fish are pretty low. Plus, ghost shrimp shrimplets are very, very hard to keep alive, they go through a planktonic (larval) stage where they are free-floating in the water and even if they fish don't eat them all, usually aquarium water does not have enough microfauna to keep them alive during that period. You can read about it here for a more detailed explanation of why it is almost impossible for the larvae to survive--even in a tank with no fish at all.

+1

We had some ghosts in a 5g. The 3 females let loose with shrimplets at about the same time. Couldn't keep them alive. Tried feeding them Hikari first bites, tried some water from our pond, tried to make some "green water", nothing.

Yeah well she is hiding under the java moss and drift wood,but now I cant find the male I only see here I hope he isn't dead somewhere.
Do they bury them self's?

No, but they are very good at hiding. I have one left in a planted 46 with apistos and I only see it once a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom