pregnant ghost shrimp?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm wondering if my ghost shrimp is pregnant. Here are some pics. They ain't the best but focus on the lower underneath part of the shrimp

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110806_003433.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110806_003433.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 145
  • ForumRunner_20110806_003458.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110806_003458.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 143
some of mine have had eggs for like a week and never laid them. when will they? cause i want little babies

Most ghost shrimp need brackish water to have babies in. The other thing is that these shrimp have a larval stage where they are teeny tiny and free floating so they basically need a heavy amount of microfauna/microflora to eat until they get bigger.

jetajockey said:
Most ghost shrimp need brackish water to have babies in. The other thing is that these shrimp have a larval stage where they are teeny tiny and free floating so they basically need a heavy amount of microfauna/microflora to eat until they get bigger.

Where can I get that at

You should do some research on it, there are some writeups out there that detail what you need to do. It basically involves creating a brackish environment and adding a lot of greenwater/infusoria to sustain the fry.

I have had good luck with my ghost shrimp. I do not use brackish water (salinity is 0.2ppt) and have produced about 50 living shrimp from about 17 original bought shrimp (over 6 months). The problem with ghost shrimp is that they are treated as feeders so the living conditions in the stores are not the best. Out of the 17 I started with about 2/3 died. But I was able to find a way to keep the fry alive.
I have had tall fast growing stem plants in the tanks with them. I let the plants get to the surface and once the eggs hatch the fry will float to the top of the water and "hide" in the leaves. For feeding I use ground up Spirulina Algae. The plant that they seemed to hide in the most was Cabomba.
The gestation period is about 30 days. The eggs will turn from green (they show up in the saddle first, and then move to the abdomen once fertilized) to clear / whitish and toward the end before they hatch you can start to see little black dots in the eggs.

ldaniel said:
I have had good luck with my ghost shrimp. I do not use brackish water (salinity is 0.2ppt) and have produced about 50 living shrimp from about 17 original bought shrimp (over 6 months). The problem with ghost shrimp is that they are treated as feeders so the living conditions in the stores are not the best. Out of the 17 I started with about 2/3 died. But I was able to find a way to keep the fry alive.
I have had tall fast growing stem plants in the tanks with them. I let the plants get to the surface and once the eggs hatch the fry will float to the top of the water and "hide" in the leaves. For feeding I use ground up Spirulina Algae. The plant that they seemed to hide in the most was Cabomba.
The gestation period is about 30 days. The eggs will turn from green (they show up in the saddle first, and then move to the abdomen once fertilized) to clear / whitish and toward the end before they hatch you can start to see little black dots in the eggs.

Is it possible to house the shrimp fry in a seperate tank with no filter

Yes, you need to do frequent water changes though.
But his method may not work for your species of shrimp. Your species may not be able to survive in only freshwater as babies. As jeta said on another thread there are many species of ghost/glass shrimp. Some need the brackish and some dont

Well can I get a 2 gallon tank and make it a brackish tank
If so how would I go about doing that

Back
Top Bottom