Pregnant molly ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul65

Aquarium Advice Regular
Not sure if molly is pregnant or not, a week of unusual behaviour, hiding etc has been followed by more normal behaviour now but she is very bloatedImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392475122.168225.jpg

I had a flame Molly that looked just like that but never ended up giving birth. Sometimes it's hereditary for them to be on the fat side even if you don't over feed. On the other hand it very well could be pregnant.. Guess you'll find out soon! Make sure you have the right equipment for her though.

Thanks for reply i have everything ready just in case ! The only thing i dont have is a midwife lol, i do have a hatchery in the tank with a fry trap so will monitor her closely

Something I forgot to mention is she could be sick but by the way she looks you're probably going to be fine! Congrats on free Molly's!

She could have already given birth and you didn't notice. In my experience they usually give birth in early morning, and the fry are very tiny and get eaten by other fish very quickly.
This could be a possible explanation of her return to normal behavior. Also, they don't always drop all the fry at once. Sometimes it's sporadic with 5 fry one day, 10 a week later, 2 a week later, etc. in my experience it's not always perfectly regular like you read about (once a month 30-50 fry).

Yes i did consider the possibility that she had already given birth but if anything she seems to be getting bigger, i did not know they had sporadic birth of fry i assumed it was all over in the space of a few hours so i have learned something new already ! From what you say i cant rule out that she may have released some of the fry if she IS pregnant, i guess i will just have to sit tight and monitor her for now and look for any fry that may have escaped being eaten as i have lots of hiding places for them to take refuge

Hi sorry I could figure how to post my own post but I really need some advice for Robyn my beautiful creamsicle molly...

I believe she might be pregnant along with my other molly (Lemon) I have but I am not sure ??

Also for the past two days Robyn has been laying at the bottom of my tank barely moving unless I come up to the tank then she moves her body like a snake. I put her in a breeder net but I couldn't bare to see her depressed so I let her out ;( I really hope she is okay and if there is any advice to help her or maybe tell me what's wrong ;(

Sorry this is my very first fishtank... I really don't know much. I have a 10g.

Robyn

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395145390.927123.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395145415.703904.jpg

Lemon

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395145541.872598.jpg

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you so very much.

Christina

Robyn is a male and lemon is the female. Unusual behavior like that usually indicates water quality issues. Did you cycle your tank? How long has it been set up? And what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Back
Top Bottom