Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pregnant Neon Tetra

Hi,
I have just realised one of my neon tetras is pregnant,but i also have 3 guppy fry in a 0.75litre breeder box, should i put the pregnant neon in there or something else because i want most of them to survive.

pls Help,
Fishdude101

Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude101 View Post
Hi,
I have just realised one of my neon tetras is pregnant,but i also have 3 guppy fry in a 0.75litre breeder box, should i put the pregnant neon in there or something else because i want most of them to survive.

pls Help,
Fishdude101
Do you have a picture of the neon? I'm not fully convinced it is holding eggs, oh yea, neon don't get pregnant they are egg layers, so if anything she could be holding eggs, or bloated, or infection, or injured swim bladder.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I will send picture tonight as I am at school now
Old 12-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude101 View Post
Hi,

pls Help,
Fishdude101
Please read the following: Is my fish Pregnant? A newbie "must read"
Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Ichthyophile

The fish could be full of eggs or just bloated or fat for other reasons. The term for a fish full of young or eggs is "gravid". Only mammals get pregnant. And since the neon is a egg layer and not a live bearer, putting her, if it is a her, in a breeder box is not necessary. You need a male and a female both. The female scatters eggs and the male fertilizes them at the same time. In a community aquarium, the other inhabitants will eat the eggs anyway.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
The fish could be full of eggs or just bloated or fat for other reasons. The term for a fish full of young or eggs is "gravid". Only mammals get pregnant. And since the neon is a egg layer and not a live bearer, putting her, if it is a her, in a breeder box is not necessary. You need a male and a female both. The female scatters eggs and the male fertilizes them at the same time. In a community aquarium, the other inhabitants will eat the eggs anyway.
Not to be picky but livebearing fish get pregnant.... and are not mammals. But you are correct, Neons do not get pregnant.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:01 AM   #7
Ichthyophile

I stand corrected

Tags
neon, neon tetra, pregnant, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com