Pregnant Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have just realised one of my neon tetras is pregnant,but i also have 3 guppy fry in a 0.75litre breeder box, should i put the pregnant neon in there or something else because i want most of them to survive.

pls Help,
Fishdude101

Hi,
I have just realised one of my neon tetras is pregnant,but i also have 3 guppy fry in a 0.75litre breeder box, should i put the pregnant neon in there or something else because i want most of them to survive.

pls Help,
Fishdude101

Do you have a picture of the neon? I'm not fully convinced it is holding eggs, oh yea, neon don't get pregnant ;) they are egg layers, so if anything she could be holding eggs, or bloated, or infection, or injured swim bladder.

The fish could be full of eggs or just bloated or fat for other reasons. The term for a fish full of young or eggs is "gravid". Only mammals get pregnant. And since the neon is a egg layer and not a live bearer, putting her, if it is a her, in a breeder box is not necessary. You need a male and a female both. The female scatters eggs and the male fertilizes them at the same time. In a community aquarium, the other inhabitants will eat the eggs anyway.

The fish could be full of eggs or just bloated or fat for other reasons. The term for a fish full of young or eggs is "gravid". Only mammals get pregnant. And since the neon is a egg layer and not a live bearer, putting her, if it is a her, in a breeder box is not necessary. You need a male and a female both. The female scatters eggs and the male fertilizes them at the same time. In a community aquarium, the other inhabitants will eat the eggs anyway.
Not to be picky but livebearing fish get pregnant.... and are not mammals. ;) But you are correct, Neons do not get pregnant. (y)

Back
Top Bottom