Pregnant Platy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gourami2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 female high-fin Platys. 1 gave birth about 2 months ago, and around that time the other female began getting plumper. She is still larger than she was and you can clearly see two little eyes in her gravid spot, but she still hasn't gave birth! Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 74
I once had a Molly hold on for 52 days... Possibly she got pregnant later than you originally thought? They can hold onto the sperm and store it after mating, so they don't even have to have been around a male recently.
She definitely is pregnant though and you can see the Gravid spot, so it's only a matter of time.

She's gorgeous!

gmanova said:
When a fish like that do folks use a breeder holding floater? If so, when does MaMA go in it?

I don't use these because I don't want to stress my females out more than necessary... I know all of mine swim in long stretches while birthing... And I wouldn't want to give birth in a closet either! :) some people have success though and like traps and nets.. Mom is put in when she is very square and if she doesn't birth in 24 hrs let her out to swim awhile and put her back in...

gmanova said:
So do you keep the little ones in your tank or move them after birth?

I watch very closely for birthing and I remove them as they're being born into a container or my 10g nursery tank. Occasionally I'll miss a birth and find a skinny mama and fry in the tank, and then I'll remove them then.
I've had 7 batches of Mollies & 2 batches of Platies born
I've also missed 5-6 batches born completely that were eaten overnight...
This is all within the last 5 mths

Thanks! I am still awaiting that first glorious day! Nice to know how it's done and to be ready for the miracle! Thanks again!

gmanova said:
Thanks! I am still awaiting that first glorious day! Nice to know how it's done and to be ready for the miracle! Thanks again!

Its just the way I've done it and haven't lost a mom yet :)

She is really pretty. I have fry from the other female so more pretty platys lol. There was a male but he jumped out and died. I did think she was pregnant due to gravid spot.

Back
Top Bottom