Pregnant Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thribz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do I know if my female Platy are pregnant? They have both gone a bit plump

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391355353.534324.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391355369.000970.jpg

The orange one is definitely pregnant- a lot farther along than the silver platy. You can tell by the dark gravid spots near the anal fins. The farther along they are, the darker the gravid spot (due to the fry growing inside her- they cast a nice shadow on her skin). :)

Thank you GreenLily. How long do you think I have before she gives birth?

I'm not sure on that, but you will be able to tell she is close when she gets box shaped and when she starts hanging out at the bottom, and is probably looking for a spot to drop the fry.

Should I put her in a seperate fry met at night? She looks pretty big

You could if you would like to. Also, water changes help to induce labor- if it's close enough to her due date.

Ok :) thank you for the advice. Should I take her out of the fry net during the days?

If you would like to.. You could try putting her in for a couple of days straight and if she doesn't drop any fry in that time, let her out for a couple days.

Oh, in this picture, she doesn't look as close to dropping fry as she did in the first picture. Glamour shots do that, I guess..

She is hiding away and hanging around down the bottom when in the tank though

It won't hurt to leave her in the box, she doesn't appear to be stressed from it.

Back
Top Bottom