Pregnant platy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanks a 1ot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413847274.553319.jpg
Is my platy pregnant and if so how long till she gives birth?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It definitely looks like she's pregnant. If I had to guess I would say maybe a week. I'm a newby so not really sure but that is about how my platy looked (protruding belly and dark spot) and she gave birth about 5-6 days later.

And we have 14!!! Must have given birth today whilst at work. Good job I put her a new tank last night.

Will these all survive?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413916023.418726.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413915961.727891.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They'll survive if there are no predators around and you feed them. So will the next two to three rounds of births that may come from this same impregnated platy... Be prepared for the onslaught as she's not done. LOL

I start with very finely crushed algae wafer - about 1/4-1/2 tablet. They are supposed to be fed a couple times a day, but play around with that since you don't want there to be a lot of uneaten food around.
I also do a pinch of finely crushed freeze-dried brine shrimp - almost to a powder. You can also do very fine small pinched to a powder flakes.

Switch off whatever you want, just not all at the same time. The key is making it small enough for them to eat!

If you want them all or most to survive, you have to keep them in a separate container. I use a crappy plastic one gallon that came with a light and "filter" (air stone) which I use on its own without the under gravel thing that comes with it. It was $10 bucks.

They can co-mingle with the other fish when they are too big to fit in their mouths. If you choose to keep them in your main tank, put a nylon over the intake tube of your filter.

I feed mine really fine fish flakes. I wasn't sure they were eating at first then about three days after they were born I started seeing them poop so I knew they were eating. They are now around 3 weeks old.

I just thought that'd I ask this question on this thread.... How much longer do you think my platy has before she gives birth?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414012483.384001.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414012483.384001.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414012514.545055.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414012514.545055.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 66
You know what? It's not easy to say when such a female will give birth very fast or not. It's not how big she should be to estimate the day of delivery. For also water changes can make a female drop fry sooner than expected. But there are more issues that should be considered before a female delivers.

It also happens that a not particularly swolen female will deliver faster than expected. Water parameters are important to the duration of a pregnancy.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll just keep and eye on her until she gives birth.

Watch for squaring off of the rest of her body and perhaps different behaviors. She may clamp her fins, isolate for a while, hide, stay stationary in a vertical position, dart around wildly all over the tank. The previous poster is probably right - each fish is different - I am basing my observations on my two platys only.

She looks pretty gravid - which I have never been able to see on my platys.

It should be pretty soon I'd say any day.

Okay, thanks! She hasn't been acting to different other than eating more.

Okay. Im hoping that she gives birth here soon :)

Back
Top Bottom