Pregnant shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have RCS and Ghost shrimp. Last night I saw one of Ghost shrimp showed it's little green eggs! What do I have to do to keep them? There is a lot of cover for them. I do have a fry net, but catching her is really hard. Suggestions please.

I have RCS and Ghost shrimp. Last night I saw one of Ghost shrimp showed it's little green eggs! What do I have to do to keep them? There is a lot of cover for them. I do have a fry net, but catching her is really hard. Suggestions please.

I've read it's difficult to breed ghost shrimp as the fry require food not generally found in typical aquariums. See the link below

Ghost .:. Glass .:. Grass Shrimp .:. Palaemonetes paludosus .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page

If you only have rcs and ghost shrimp then you don't need to wrorry about danger to them - the only danger will be if you have a filter with holes instead of a sponge one. You should keep them in the main tank - they will not need to be moved after they are born and the mother wont be put through the hassle Of being transported to a nursrey and risk dropping her eggs. In terms of feeding, they do need very small food - ones I've had have eaten fish flakes that I have crushed up into very small bits. (You will need to check the food does not contain any copper though) You can also get something called Liquifry - which is meant for fish fry but a couple drops of this into the tank and it will be perfect for the babies to eat. Good luck :)

Also First Bites by Hikari, a little bit goes a long way.

Prefilter sponge important!!! Can use a knee hi nylon or pair of pantyhose, leg, no holes!!!

I somehow managed 1 baby to survive. Keep it well planted, Java moss provides great hiding places and mico food. I just moved my Ghost shrimp Away from RCS, My ghost shrimp have taken on and eaten a Cardinal Tetra, 2 RCS tore limb from limb in 24 hours, and possibly a Cory. I think They have their place, but mine seem to have gone Psycho:hide:.

Thank you all for the replies! I have a pre-filter sponge. They all live in my Brazilian pennywort, and under some drift wood. I have RCS and the ghost/grass/amano shrimp. I thought that the brackish water had to be there also. But she deff has green babies. You can see them move and she has the green saddle. I have had her for about a month. Don't ask me how she got pregnant!! lol I will try the crushed flakes and bloodworms. I am not able to get to a store to get the liquifry. From what I have read, they will be leaving momma before I can get some on the net. Thank you for your help all!!

Thank you all for the replies! I have a pre-filter sponge. They all live in my Brazilian pennywort, and under some drift wood. I have RCS and the ghost/grass/amano shrimp. I thought that the brackish water had to be there also. But she deff has green babies. You can see them move and she has the green saddle. I have had her for about a month. Don't ask me how she got pregnant!! lol I will try the crushed flakes and bloodworms. I am not able to get to a store to get the liquifry. From what I have read, they will be leaving momma before I can get some on the net. Thank you for your help all!!

Amanos are completely different than Ghost Shrimp. Look at pics online to compare.

I somehow managed 1 baby to survive. Keep it well planted, Java moss provides great hiding places and mico food. I just moved my Ghost shrimp Away from RCS, My ghost shrimp have taken on and eaten a Cardinal Tetra, 2 RCS tore limb from limb in 24 hours, and possibly a Cory. I think They have their place, but mine seem to have gone Psycho:hide:.

lol:ROFLMAO:...yes they are a bit psycho...I also managed to 1 to live without trying to...

Back
Top Bottom