Pregnant Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pimp My Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I looked at my aquarium today and saw one of my amano shrimps looked huge and was carrying around what seemed to be eggs (Picture attached in post below). Anyone have any insight? If they are eggs, anyone know how I could raise them so they don't become a free meal for my puffers haha

OraPy

Last edited:
They will hatch and die within 24 hours, nothing you can do. They need brackish water in order for the young to survive.

Yes, true, can not live in FW after hatching.

You could try a transitioning the shrimp to a brackish set up if you wanted a project to play with.

To add here puffers and shrimps together is not a good idea. Amanos are large but puffers can rip apart anything.

I have had my puffer with Amanos for months 6+ now and so far he has left the shrimp alone.
He might snack on newly hatched, but since they won’t survive the fresh water anyway he might as well.

To add here puffers and shrimps together is not a good idea. Amanos are large but puffers can rip apart anything.
That's good. I never dealt with amanos. But I know puffers well lol. They can one day very mean suddenly. Many people have reported there puffer was living in harmony but one day suddenly attacked his tank mate. Also I am kind of person who don't like to mix shrimp with fish and I never had amanos so maybe puffers won't attack them because they are bigger.

Back
Top Bottom