Prego Zebra Danio ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 Zebra Danio's and have no idea what sex they are. Just one of them looks fat, kinda like she could be pregnant (if it is a she?). How do I know? Any suggestions on mating and raising? Not sure if the Pictus Catfish will eat the eggs, if they are laid. Shoot! I am not even sure where the eggs will be laid or what they even look like. Maybe i should find a book? or is there a helpful website?
Thanks for all the help in advance!

Your catfish will probably eat the eggs. I have two Zebra Danios and I don't know how to sex them either. If I have a pair and if they've bred, I didn't know. The other fish may have eaten these hypothetical fish. If you have four, chances are that you have at least one pair.

I've heard that if you want to breed zebra danios, one way to make sure the eggs aren't eaten, put marbles in the bottom of the tank, this way the eggs and fry go to the bottom, where the parents and/or other tank inhabitants don't eat them.

Also, if you discover that you have a breeding pair, you could always buy a breeder. It's a small plastic tank with holes that you submerge into your main tank. You put the pregnant female into it until she lays the eggs, then you remove her and let the fry grow in the breeder until they're big enough to let into the main tank.

Also, my danios get fat after I feed them frozen brine shrimp. I thought the bigger one was pregnant, so I put her/him into the breeder for the evening. The next day, s/he was regular size and there were no fry. So this may be what you're seeing.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!
Do you happen to know what the gestation of a Zebra Danio is? I don't even know how long fish are prego for?
Are you familiar at all with the Pictus catfish?
Just wondering if the actually will eat a Debra Danio adult? The reason i ask is I had 5 Zebra Danio's, all about the same size (1") and all of a sudden one was missing. I checked everywhere!!! I cleaned the tank gravel, took the ornamental stuff out and checked it, and even took apart my Penguin 125 biowheel thinking maybe he did a Finding Nemo move (have you seen the movie)?? Anyway... he was No where!!! So, does the catfish eat this kind of fish? :?:

Female zebras are a slightly darker, more brown color than the males and have a more rounded underside like you suggested. The males have more of a yellowish color and are more streamlined. My males also appear to be smaller.

If you have more than one, you can tell by their behavior too. The males constantly chase the females around while playing, without ever nipping or causing any damage to each other.

Yeah. After checking them out a little more and reading more info on the internet, I have come to the conclusion that I have 2 females and 2 males. Thanks for the helpful description. The one female is definitely pregnant (well, caring eggs). How long does she carry the eggs for? I have a tank separator that I blocked off part of my tank for two of the Danio's (a prego one and a male) and I keep checking (like all the time!! :) ) to see if there are eggs so I can move them back over to the main part of the tank. I am just not sure what kind of time frame to expect? Any ideas?

You probably don't want them to breed as it will just create in-breeding and weaken the fish.

Are you sure that you are not getting broody in other parts of your life? :lol:

Inbreeding does not have any visual effects for many generations, and in fact that is most likely how your fish were bred

ha, ha... No Brooding for me!!! Three kids later and no way wanting anymore. :D
I just am really anxious with the fish, because I have never tried to breed fish... let alone never even seen eggs laid or live fish born. I was at a really great fish store this morning and found out some helpful information in my quest for Zebra Danio babies.. :lol: Anyway, if anyone cares... The Zebra Danio will carry the eggs for about 3 weeks and then deposit them in plants, gravel or even on the side of the tank (i guess where ever they feel like it :wink: ). Then remove the parents from where ever the eggs are... but must be very careful not to disturb the eggs because it will lead to deformed or just problem fish. Then drop a little Methelyene (i hope I spelled it right) Blue (directions are on the bottle) where ever you have the eggs kept, to help them develop healthy (if sick, eggs will turn white). If adding the Methelyene Blue to your tank that has other fish in it, it is okay. I have a divider in my tank, so I was not sure if the blue effect the other fish... but I guess not. Soon you will see two little black dots inside eggs (the eyes) and eventually in 28 days.... Baby Danios!!! I feel a little more informed.... anyone else?!?!? :lol:
I would love anymore information that anyone would like to provide! I love it!!!

Gosh! Now I just recovered some additional info. I have read that you can put an egg carring female (ready to spawn) in with a male (preferably 2) at night and then in the morning, remove the parents... quite possibly the eggs are there. And I also read that the eggs hatch in approx. 28 hours... DUH!!! not 28 days. The things you learn :oops:
What a newbie?!?!?! :roll:

Gosh! Now I just recovered some additional info. I have read that you can put an egg carring female (ready to spawn) in with a male (preferably 2) at night and then in the morning, remove the parents... quite possibly the eggs are there. And I also read that the eggs hatch in approx. 28 hours... DUH!!! not 28 days. The things you learn :oops:

Back
Top Bottom