Prep Wood for Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I posted about this awhile ago but it got lost. I found this wood I would like to make into driftwood decor for my tank. It was much bigger but I broke it down (and found an ant infestation. The other piece was unsalvagable and burned) How do I prep this for my tank? I am about to pour boiling water on it and let it soak for a few days but what else do I need to do? There seems to be some rot. I am planning on throwing some feeder guppies in the water in a few days to see if anything in the wood is a horrible poison and kills them. I am very concerned about adding this in with my fish! I love these fish and if they die because of a piece of wood I am going to be irate! SO any suggestions?

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 81
well i think for wood to work in the tank it has to be hard wood and not soft. that looks like soft wood to me. but if it is hard wood, then a good scrub with a clean brush then pouring some boiling water over it a few times a week should do the trick, just keep pouring the boiling water and dumping after a few days till you no longer have tea colored water.

From the looks of it. And again this is just my opinion from one picture on the Internet but is say don't bother. It looks soft and will probably break down after a while.

I believe it is hard wood. It had the bumpy light colored bark like oak or maple. It doesnt smell like cedar. I could be wrong but I think it is oak or maple. Is it still worth it?

Man...I don't know about that....I wouldn't do it. Period. Better off buying a nice piece of driftwood from a reputable dealer. I would hate for you to lose ur fish.

Man...I don't know about that....I wouldn't do it. Period. Better off buying a nice piece of driftwood from a reputable dealer. I would hate for you to lose ur fish.
I cant afford their driftwood lol how do I know which pieces are safe to collect?

If ur collecting out in the wild, you really don't know what is safe. That is the problem. You can wipe out an expensive set up with a bad piece of wood. Even if u boil it and scrub it. You can find very reasonable pieces of DW from ur LFS. And I DONT mean Petsmart or Petco or other non intelligent commercial idiots. I got two decent pieces recently for $14 apiece. Shop around and you would be surprised what you find.

If ur collecting out in the wild, you really don't know what is safe. That is the problem. You can wipe out an expensive set up with a bad piece of wood. Even if u boil it and scrub it. You can find very reasonable pieces of DW from ur LFS. And I DONT mean Petsmart or Petco or other non intelligent commercial idiots. I got two decent pieces recently for $14 apiece. Shop around and you would be surprised what you find.
Do you go online or local?

You can find plenty of driftwood outside, near a creek, stream, river etc. I know many many many people that have done so. YouTube it, there are a few videos of people searching for driftwood in there area.

You just scrub it and boil it real good. IMO it's just as good if not better then some LFS. You have much more to choose from and can make a scape right there and see what you think.

I did this with some rocks I found, I scaped it right there in the woods lol. Found ones I liked and brought them home. Of course the wife thinks I'm nuts for going "rock hunting"

Another place you can try is Marshall's (I think it is a US national chain...sells clothes and home goods). I found manzanita DW there for cheap. Apparently manzanita is used as a wedding decoration.

Another place you can try is Marshall's (I think it is a US national chain...sells clothes and home goods). I found manzanita DW there for cheap. Apparently manzanita is used as a wedding decoration.

+1 I thought I was crazy but I've seen it there also! :)

Ok so are yall saying to try to use this piece or no? I will have to check marshalls as well. Im always afraid stuff from other places will be treated...

The piece you have, where did you find it again? If you bang it against a tree or something does it break apart? It looks like it will breakdown after time. But like I said, I'm going off of one single picture on the Internet.

the general answer is no, do not use it UNLESS you are absolutely certain it is a hard wood. I, personally, would not risk it.

I didn't know you could get dw at marshalls. I'll have to look into it

Back
Top Bottom