Prepare for water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people,

I want to take a step and try to use a tap water for my future water maintaining. I always buy a sping water but its becomin 2 expensive for my pack. A week ago I used to buy 1 g for 0.50 right now they selling 1g for 1$ .. Well how can I make a good quality water from a tap water that won't harm my tank cycling?

Sounds good i gonna try it soon, thanks

You will want to check you tap ph and compare that to your tanks ph to make sure they aren't that different. Also, until you get most of the spring water out and replaced with tap, I would do small water changes (no more than 20 percent) in case there is a huge difference in the total dissolved solids or organic compounds of your tap vs the bottled. Even though there may not be, it won't hurt to play it safe :).

As the previous poster said, get a quality water conditioner and this should be all you need. What type of fish do you have, I see that you are cycling now- if you don't yet have fish then just disregard what I posted about changing the water out.

heck i would do less then that like 5% water change every day or so. the less shock the better when transitioning to new water.

I'm with the slower smaller changes. I think I would even skip a day or two with the 5%. As time goes on I would slowly increase the % of water change and the amount of time between them.

I'm presuming we're talking freshwater here..... in which case you've got plenty of good advice. Go for it, just do frequent small water changes until you're pretty sure the tank is mostly tap water.

If salt, then I'd advise against it as you'll likely end up with algae issues from the nitrates and phosphates in the tap water. My guess is we're talking FW but I thought I'd double check....

Back
Top Bottom