preparing egg yolk for fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read on here several times about feeding egg yolk to fry for the protein to make them grow faster and stronger.

I'm guessing you just boil the egg first but I'm not entirely sure so can someone clarify that please?

Do I simply boil it and feed portions of the yolk to the fry? They're living solely on powdered flake and algae pellets at the moment so thought I'd give a bit of variety.

For interests sake they are 4 weeks and 3 weeks old.

Yep just boil an egg and dab a bit of the yolk with a toothpick or something to feed it. It's extremely messy though, so I typically don't use it unless I have some seriously tiny fry.

Well at the moment I'm doing 75% PWC every day since I replaced the filter with a sponge filter and am re-cycling the tank. The 4 x daily feedings also have a huge effect on ammo and nitrite readings hence the large daily changes.

Will this be more messy than that or will my current PWC suffice?

It's just one of those foods that clouds the water up, so it's messy and not really worth it if you have larger fry. I suggest getting some live foods, like microworms or bbs, they keep the water much nicer.

Thanks JJ. I have tried to find both of those locally once before and no-one stocks them. The closest I could get was frozen brine shrimp but they're too big.

Well I was giving my adults some brine shrimp so thought I would try the babies with it again. They could eat the smaller ones so I just spent a few minutes giving them the small ones and gave the rest to the adults. I think that works out well.

Thanks for the suggestion JJ I probably wouldn't have tried again yet if it weren't for that.

Back
Top Bottom