Preparing used tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrNitrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found a 29 gal setup on Craigslist. Should I disinfect it first? And how do you get rid of the hard water stains without scratching the glass-has enough scratches already. I will move my small pool comet fromt he 2.5 into the 29. And get it a tankmate for it. Then when they outgrow it, I'll look for a used 75 or give them to someone who has a pond.

i would use a 10:1 water to bleach solution and scrub with a nice soft sponge... then rinse real good, sun/air dry for a couple days, then fill up with a super high concentration of dechlorinator... drain, fill, dechlor, and start your cycle

Well, I did alot of work to it this weekend. Disinfected it, filled with water and checked for leaks, made sure Bio Wheel 200 works, painted the back glass blue, and painted the stand and tank trim. I'll post pics this week.

As for salt stains, a razor blade works awesome. I just cleaned an entire 65 salt tank that had been sitting in a garage for months with one :)

Back
Top Bottom