Preping media for a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a 36g tank for my daughters for Christmas. I was planning on just moving an entire filter over to their tank for an instant cycle but the tank I ended up getting comes with a filter and after just coming through a mini cycle I am terrified to remove any of my filter material. I did just get a new canister and I added all of my old filter material in to the canister and I haven't had any issues with my levels since adding the new filter with all of the old media.
So how do I prep media to add to the new tank when I set it up without crashing mine and sending it through another mini cycle. But still giving the new filter enough bb to cycle it quickly?

Can you add the new tanks filter onto your old tank until your ready to set her tank up?

Well that was a lesson learned! Well several actually.
1. The filter that comes with the Aqueon Bowfront kit looks like a giant piece of crap there is another word I would like to use right now, but I have been using them for the last several minutes so only my kids heard me.
2. When opening a canister filter and this is a big one! Make sure that it isn't still syphoning out water! *inserts nasty language here* Otherwise you will be cleaning up several gallons of water that are quickly being sucked out of your tank!

I don't have enough plugs. Crap and my feet are still wet. The filter cartridge that came with it didn't fit in my canister. I think I am just going to buy her a new filter altogether.

Ouch is all I can say! Fluval canisters like a 306 or 406 would be good. They have easy water shut off, dual disconnect, and self priming. I've been using them since the 80's.

I just got this marineland c-220 on sale for $75 on black Friday. So I am stuck with it for a while. But I won't forget that little issue with it! Otherwise it hasn't been bad just a PITA to prime.

Back
Top Bottom