Pretty amazing RCS if you ask me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok,

So I have some Red Cherry Shrimp in my nano, which is on my desk.
Every morning I get up and drop in a couple flakes.
Well, yesterday morning I noticed an adult shrimp on the desk.
It wasn't moving......no water visible on the desk, it was curled up and even looked dry, so I wrote it off as a midnight jumper.
Anyway before I could reach for it, my son distracted me and I forgot about the shrimp for the next ten mins.
When my attention turned back to the poor guy I reached to pick him up figuring I'd be heading to the toilet for a quick funeral.
Instead he flicked his tail between my fingers!! 8O
So I dropped him back in the nano figuring he'd only last a few mins.
Well........today he's still kickin........I can't tell the difference between the two shrimp at all.
Both are constantly eating and have a nice color.

I am completely amazed at this little guys heartyness.
I wonder how long he was on the desk before I noticed him.

yeah most crustaceans can survive out of water for a few hours.

I had a yabby/crayfish that used to climb out of his tank during the night.
The next morning I would find him in the lounge room on the carpet (covered in dust).

I game him a quick wash and put him back in the tank.

That was 1 year ago.
He is still alive and kicking today :)

also remember that most crustaceans MOLT.
So if any body part (legs, arms, pincers, claws) are damaged or broken - they will grow back.

Ya I've had that same thing happen to a crayfish of mine in the past. (I had completely forgoten till you mentioned it.)
I had no idea how long he was out but it had to have been a while.

I guess I am so shocked with the shrimp doing the same thing cuz of the size difference.
It seems to me that the shrimp being so small would loose moisture alot quicker.

Anyway........he's alive........so I'm happy.
I just thought it was a interesting story.

That is amazing-I I would have thought such a tiny creature would dry up very quickly too. I'm glad she made it.

I regularly find tiny shrimp swimming in the draining bathtub water after a water change, and in the trap. None the worse for wear. Sturdy little things!

One of my chocolate gouramis was also laying down on the gravel about a month ago...I found him like this early in the morning...As he was still breathing though I left him there and went to work. Coming back he was just inder the leave of an anubia, seeming dead. I took the net and as I cought him he still moved a bit his fins...He had a terrible color. I decided not to kill him myself...Next morning he was just like all the rest of the fishes fighting for food on the surface! I never understood what happened to him...I just remembered him with this story..Of course he is still alive!!!

Back
Top Bottom