Pretty Cool Fish...Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some interesting fish to put in a 20 gallon tank??? That are peaceful, not as aggressive, but nice??? Are Angelfish or African Cichlid one???

Sent from my Event using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are some interesting fish to put in a 20 gallon tank??? That are peaceful, not as aggressive, but nice??? Are Angelfish or African Cichlid one???

In general most african cichlids aren't going to be peaceful, and most of them also won't fit in a 20 gallon. Angelfish can be hit or miss in terms of peacefulness but they do generally get too big for a 20 gallon

I wouldn't do either of those in a 20g. A minimum of at least a 30g for angels and it's possible a 40 for Africans but I wouldn't do less than a 55g honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

The only african cichlids you could put in a 20 are shelldwellers, but those are territorial so not much else can go with them unless it only occupies the upper regions of the tank

Thanks guys so what are some pretty cool fish to put in a 20 gallon

Personally I enjoy schooling fish. Tetras and barbs w some cory cats and maybe a shrimp or two. There are a lot of different species of all those w different colors. Check out some of those maybe youll enjoy those.

Can I put in some Rasbora Heteromorpha or some Scissortail Rasboras???

My stocking plan for my 20 gallon is 5 corydoras, 8 cardinal tetras, and a pair of either apistogrammas or ram cichlids. That's a pretty solid stocking plan to emulate, though if you don't have experience maybe swap the cardinals for neons and hold off on the apistos or rams until you have several months of clean, stable water quality. You could also replace the tetras with harlequin rasboras, but not scissortails.

My stocking plan for my 20 gallon is 5 corydoras, 8 cardinal tetras, and a pair of either apistogrammas or ram cichlids. That's a pretty solid stocking plan to emulate, though if you don't have experience maybe swap the cardinals for neons and hold off on the apistos or rams until you have several months of clean, stable water quality. You could also replace the tetras with harlequin rasboras, but not scissortails.

Thanks

A dwarf or a honey gourami would work fine, as would a betta in some cases. The Bolivian ram is a hardier alternative to the German blue ram, although it is less colorful (but still a really awesome fish). Apistogramma cacatuoides and borellii are both two of the hardier type apistos but should only be introduced to well maintained mature tanks (as already noted).

Here are some nice schooling fish:

Tetras - rummynose, Cardinal, green neon, lemon, diamond, glowlight
Rasboras - harlequin, blue harlequin
Barbs - cherry, pentazona, checker
Other - beckford pencilfish, threadfin rainbows, furcata rainbows

Last edited:
A dwarf or a honey gourami would work fine, as would a betta in some cases. The Bolivian ram is a hardier alternative to the German blue ram, although it is less colorful (but still a really awesome fish). Apistogramma cacatuoides and borellii are both two of the hardier type apistos but should only be introduced to well maintained mature tanks (as already noted).

Here are some nice schooling fish:

Tetras - rummynose, Cardinal, green neon, lemon, diamond, glowlight
Rasboras - harlequin, blue harlequin
Barbs - cherry, pentazona, checker
Other - beckford pencilfish, threadfin rainbows, furcata rainbows

Thanks So much...That really helped

Do anyone else have any options???

Back
Top Bottom