Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
zacdl

Preventative for Algea? Other Preventatives?

Well, I now know in SW one of the biggest things you need to try to prevent is a cyano (algea) outbreak.

What do I need to prevent that will save me lots of hassle in the future?

As far as algea????

This will be a planted tank, if that helps any.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
go to this URL to find out alot about FW algae:http://plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
zacdl

Thanks for the link, but it didnt help much. Now I have no clue what to do.

It says UV lights will keep all algea away, but it is not good for a planted aquarium.

Also says high lighting (What I have) keeps some algea away, exept promotes the growth of others.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I would LIKE to have a planted tank, how do you planted tank owners manage the algea?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you have high lighting planted tank and no CO2 infection you will get algae. But if you have CO2 injectionthe plants should absorb all the nutrient before the algae gets them.Another way to control algae is to get some otocinculus catfish, they will eat algae on the glass, on rocks, and plant leaves.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If you are going to be using the lights from your SW tank, using two 65w CF, you will definitely need CO2 to prevent algae. You can find tons of info on CO2 by using the search function or, taking a look in the planted tank forum.

UV sterilizer are great but you shouldn't need it for a planted tank.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to tailbarlionfish
you can get algae blooms which are a real pain. Most people just get a bit of green algae. No harm just doesnt luk as nice
2angelfish,3dwarf cichlids(1gold ram,1bolivian ram and 1ram),3corys,3clownloaches and 1zebra loach.
A tank with 3 fighters;1 male, 2 females
Please can you all at least take a look at my post in the unhealthy fish forum. Its called 'whats wrong with my tank'. I really wold like some replies because my fish are dying one by one and i dont want to lose all of them!
tailbarlionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My advice is to inject CO2,keep nutrient levels stable, and do partial water changes
Old 08-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Algae requires light and nutrients, and it is also opportunistic in that it can more easily access nutrients than higher order plants. You certainly can have a planted tank with algae if the plants are not getting what they need to uptake the the available nutrients, leaving the algae to get the upper hand.

If you are new to planted tanks try to stick to ~2wpg and choose plants that do not require higher lighting. Do not overstock and do not overfeed, and keep a regular maintenance schedule. If your tap water does not already contain excess nutrients (like NO3 and PO4, most commonly) then it is easier to keep algae under control. Keep your tank away from sunlight and put your lights on a timer as well.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
if you keep the current bulbs.. you should be able to get away without the need of CO2.. the current setup is only ~1.5wpg the plants outcompete the algae. HTH
Old 08-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
zacdl

My current setup is closer to 2.5 WPG than 1.5 WPG.

So what types of bulbs should I get? They are 36 watts each, one Actinic and one 10,000K right now.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't overfeed the fish. And do weekly gravel vacs. If the algae isn't well fed it shouldn't get out of control. Once your tank is established toss in an algae eater but be sure to supplement with veggies if there is not enough algae in the tank.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
zacdl

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113555

Thats coarse enoough to not get sucked up?

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com