Preventing fish from being sucked up in filter media.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank with a hagen aquaclear sponge filter, but I don't want my fish to get sucked up in the filter what can I do to prevent that with out clogging my filter?

Thank you in advance for your posts/ comments! [/i]

What kind of fish do you have? Most fish shouldn't have a problem. If you have very tiny fish that you are worried about you could cover the intake tube with pantyhose and that should help.

I have neons, platies, a dwarf gourami, guppies and otos. I have had experience with these types of fish getting sucked up so I am trying to avoid that.

Try finding a pre-fliter sponge that the sell for mag model 2-5 pumps.. they fit on some of the aquaclear intakes.. if its smaller then that look for the prefilter sponges for reverse flow power head applications to put on your intake..

Cross-stitch mesh....buy a 12"x 12" sheet from Wal-Mart for $0.40 and wrap a piece around the intake and secure it with silicone or all-plastic zip-ties....works a charm.

Back
Top Bottom