Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frshwaterfinatc
Hey, docrak, no offense intended... but ... I know what a common pleco looks like She does have a gold nugget pleco. It would run about $4 I found out, but she got a store credit plus her employee discount. That's how she got it for $1.89. There's a photo of her gold nugget pleco in my gallery.
Even without the employee discount, I'd say that pleco was mispriced at $4.00!

I've never seen a gold nugget for less than $40 here in AZ... my husband wants one really bad but we forked over $40 for a peppermint pleco who hides all the time so it just doesn't seem worth it for a fish we may never see.

Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
i think i saw some zebra plecos for 30 $$ at a local petsmart, i stopped and looked and was think where i could put him or her. but decided against it because of my saltwater

Old 07-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
Hey, I don't know if this helps anyone, since this guy is located in Davis CA, but he's been running ads all summer, selling off his fish stock and it claims he has zebra plecos for sale. No price mentioned, though. Still, it certainly won't hurt to e-mail the guy.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/37312917.html
75 gal tank: 2 discus, 1 blue dwarf gourami, 1 male blue gourami, 1 male gold gourami, 1 female platinum gourami, 1 kissing gourami, 2 balloon mollys, 1 sailfin molly, 1 black neon tetra, 1 white cloud, 1 T-bone rasbora, 14 dwarf neon rainbows, 2 leopard danios, 1 female betta, 1 male betta, 1 clown loaches, 1 clown pleco, 1 pit bull pleco, 1 dojo loach, 1 golden apple snail, 4 corys
JenNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frshwaterfinatc
Hey, docrak, no offense intended... but ... I know what a common pleco looks like She does have a gold nugget pleco. It would run about $4 I found out, but she got a store credit plus her employee discount. That's how she got it for $1.89. There's a photo of her gold nugget pleco in my gallery.

Thanks for all the ideas- sound like $80's pretty steep!
Sorry, but that photo is not of a gold nugget. Kind of looks like my gold dot pleco. $4.00 is a good price either way, and probably a steal since that pleco should go for about $20.00. Gold nugget plecos have a gold trim on their dorsal and tail fins.

Heres a link with some photos, go to Cat-eLog and look up L018:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm
Old 07-31-2004, 11:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

http://www.liveaquaria.com has gold nugget plecos for 28.95. $80 is definitely to steep. But as they say.... a sucker is born everyday.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Yeah. That's no gold nugget. They have smaller spots and their fins are outlined in gold.

A pleco like that is still a deal, at $4, though. It's a nice-looking fish, and not one that I see often.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #17

I went to a "daisy chain" pet store a couple of months ago for some supplies. Normally I wear my horse blinders. Go straight to the food, filter section, not even bothering to look at thier tanks. Knowing I would just pop a head gasket. For some reason, I decided to take a look at thier tanks.

Strangly they had zebra and gold nugget plecos for 24 bucks. Not being very knowledgable of plecos. I go home and research them. As it turns out, a zebra would work perfect in one of my tanks.

Next afternoon, I go back to the store. Observe the two tanks for about 30 minutes (please tell me I'm not the only one that does this). Finally I ask to see a water sample. What do ya know, it tested out good. Plus, the plecos had been there for a couple of weeks. Things are looking good. So, I have them net up the cutiest little zebra you'd ever see.

A day and a half later I lost it in QT. Needless to say, my horse blinders will remain on, from now on. I hate to loss an animal. Does'nt matter if it's a .30$ ghost shrimp or an 80$ Discus. I'll pay a little more for a healthy fish at a good LFS.

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com