Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do members with well water still use prime? Just curious, thanks!

still good to use because of heavy metals that may or may not be in your well water.

i know alot of wells here in texas have problems with iron and rust, so prime would be needed for that.

Do members with well water still use prime? Just curious, thanks!

I don't use any water conditioners with my well water, I have mine tested yearly through the local township and they provide a complete water chemistry breakdown; they even test for pesticides. But for as inexpensive as Prime is it's cheap insurance.

I have heard of problems from that product. Prime is more concentrated. Last longer. Personal preference tho. Not bashing you in anyway.

I've been using it for several years - and used Amquel before that - and haven't had any problems. Both of them "last" for about 24-48 hours in terms of detoxifying ammonia and nitrate.

What have you heard about it?

I've been using it for several years - and used Amquel before that - and haven't had any problems. Both of them "last" for about 24-48 hours in terms of detoxifying ammonia and nitrate.

What have you heard about it?

I have used Amquel Plus before as well and have no complaints except for the cost. 5ml of AP only treats 10g while 5ml of Prime treats 50g. That expense adds up pretty quickly with multiple tanks and lots of water changes. The only contradiction with AP is that it temporarily reduces oxygen content so its recommended that tanks have heavy aeration. I never experienced problems with this but I do know quite a few people that switched to AP and suddenly had their fish gasping at the surface and could not figure out why.

I have used Amquel Plus before as well and have no complaints except for the cost. 5ml of AP only treats 10g while 5ml of Prime treats 50g. That expense adds up pretty quickly with multiple tanks and lots of water changes. The only contradiction with AP is that it temporarily reduces oxygen content so its recommended that tanks have heavy aeration. I never experienced problems with this but I do know quite a few people that switched to AP and suddenly had their fish gasping at the surface and could not figure out why.

You know, I've seen that on forums before. The words used are "moderately reduce" and/or "temporarily reduce" oxygen. I've even seen the claim attributed to Kordon, but you can't find it on the website, or in the FAQs.

However, I can't find anyone who backs that up with any hard data, and most of the folks who say it added Amquel+ instead of doing a water change, most often when their nitrates were very high. Or they did a water change to reduce ammonia and/or nitrates, or successive changes, and added Amquel+ to bring ammonia/nitrates down.

Overdosing with either Prime or Amquel+ can cause decreased oxygen in the water, because both of them bind oxygen as well as ammonia and nitrates.

I think any time someone has marginal water quality, and tries to fix it by adding either of these products, they may cause adverse results in their tanks.

You know, I've seen that on forums before. The words used are "moderately reduce" and/or "temporarily reduce" oxygen. I've even seen the claim attributed to Kordon, but you can't find it on the website, or in the FAQs.

However, I can't find anyone who backs that up with any hard data, and most of the folks who say it added Amquel+ instead of doing a water change, most often when their nitrates were very high. Or they did a water change to reduce ammonia and/or nitrates, or successive changes, and added Amquel+ to bring ammonia/nitrates down.

Overdosing with either Prime or Amquel+ can cause decreased oxygen in the water, because both of them bind oxygen as well as ammonia and nitrates.

I think any time someone has marginal water quality, and tries to fix it by adding either of these products, they may cause adverse results in their tanks.

Actually, AP states right on the bottle in their directions to use in well aerated water as it reduces oxygen levels temporarily. I have to assume that Kordon would not state this if it was not based upon actual research. Prime and AP work differently as they contain different chemical makeups. Prime does not affect oxygen levels according to their reps, even when dosed beyond a standard dose.

Personal choice for everyone in use of water conditioners but I personally can not justify the additional cost involved with AP. Its also worth noting the AP has to be used in conjunction with Nova Aqua as AP does not detox heavy metals nor does it provide any type of slime coat aid. Prime does all of the above in a single product.

Actually, AP states right on the bottle in their directions to use in well aerated water as it reduces oxygen levels temporarily. I have to assume that Kordon would not state this if it was not based upon actual research. Prime and AP work differently as they contain different chemical makeups. Prime does not affect oxygen levels according to their reps, even when dosed beyond a standard dose.

Personal choice for everyone in use of water conditioners but I personally can not justify the additional cost involved with AP. Its also worth noting the AP has to be used in conjunction with Nova Aqua as AP does not detox heavy metals nor does it provide any type of slime coat aid. Prime does all of the above in a single product.

Agreed +1

I really don't want to argue about this.

The bottle says, "Under marginal aquarium conditions, AmQuel Plus can moderately reduce oxygen levels in the water during the first hours after use."

And Seachem's website discusses the potential of reduction of oxygen levels with any reducing agent.

Maybe we interpret marginal aquarium conditions in different ways. I view it as water chemistry approaching or at dangerous levels for livestock in the tank. In my personal opinion, water changes, reducing feeding and/or livestock, removal of decayed plant matter, adding or increasing filtration capacity, etc., should be used to correct those problems before adding additional chemicals (aside from chlorine/chloramine water conditioners during routine water changes) to the tank. I don't think there's any substitute for good animal husbandry.

I simply stated my preference for Amquel+ over Prime early on in the thread. My personal experience from years of use has not resulted in fish gasping at the surface of the water. On the rare occasions when my fish did this, it was because my water chemistry was not good, and I fixed it with either a major water change, or successive smaller ones.

And then, I set out to find and correct the problem.

Back
Top Bottom