Prime and Ammonia Readings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaincritical

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all!

I have a 35g aquarium that's been up and running since mid-February. I cycled without fish, using seeded media from a friend. After about a week or so of cycling and re-dosing with fish food to raise my ammonia level, I had minimal ammonia (0.25ppm), no nitrites, and some nitrates, which I brought down with a large water change.

With my ammonia level refusing to budge and go down below 0.25ppm, I took the advice of several forum members here and added fish, hoping it would help the cycle complete for good. There are currently 6 fish in the tank, all of which are doing great with the necessary water changes and dosing with Prime.

However, my ammonia is still holding steady at low levels after about a month of cycling. It reads 0.25ppm straight from the tap and I have never seen it go below that reading. All of my other water parameters are ideal. I dose with Prime to ensure that there's no damage done to the fish, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see an ammonia test that reads 0. I did read that Prime can cause false ammonia readings, but that it should test clear after 24 hours, which isn't what I'm seeing.

I suppose what I'm asking is the following:
- Could Prime be the reason for my ever-present 0.25ppm reading of ammonia?
- Am I ever going to be able to quit dosing daily so that I can find out (without harming my fish)?

Thanks a bunch!

My tanks always test a touch off yellow, I wouldn't worry about it, I'd also see what happens if you just use prime with wc, that must be costing you a fortune over there!

If your tap water comes out having ammonia already and you don't use anything to detoxify it before you add it to you tank then of course your going to have an ammonia reading. There are numorus products out there to remove the ammonia before you add the water to the tank.

She already stated she doses with prime, but ammonium is a form of chloramine or something, but trust me, I have the same problem, I just double dose, 4 drops per gallon, and wait 30 mins, I test and then there is no ammonia readings

She already stated she doses with prime, but ammonium is a form of chloramine or something, but trust me, I have the same problem, I just double dose, 4 drops per gallon, and wait 30 mins, I test and then there is no ammonia readings

Yes but she's adding it to the tank after she already added the water containing ammonia why not remove it before hand

My tanks always test a touch off yellow, I wouldn't worry about it, I'd also see what happens if you just use prime with wc, that must be costing you a fortune over there!

If it was just a touch of yellow, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Unfortunately it does go up to about 0.50ppm after a few days if I don't change out some water. It seems to fluctuate between the two with no discernible reason.

Your tap has ammonium, double dose and let ur water sit for 30 mins then add to tank.

I'll grab a few more buckets and try this, thank you!

RODI unit.

I'll probably look into one if I can't resolve this any other way. Thanks!

.25 really isnt anything to worry about captain. My tap has 2ppm ammo. Thats definitely worth worrying about! Your safe as long as you dose prime and monitor it for any rises

Prime could be the reason for your constant .25 reading. From the Seachem's website:

A salicylate based kit can be used, but with caution. Under the conditions of a salicylate kit the ammonia-Prime complex will be broken down eventually giving a false reading of ammonia (same as with other products like Prime®), so the key with a salicylate kit is to take the reading right away. However, the best solution ;-) is to use our MultiTest: Ammonia™ kit... it uses a gas exchange sensor system which is not affected by the presence of Prime® or other similar products. It also has the added advantage that it can detect the more dangerous free ammonia and distinguish it from total ammonia (which is both the free and ionized forms of ammonia (the ionized form is not toxic)).

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

I agree with Brookster. I would stop dosing every day and monitor your ammonia to see what happens. If you're still getting an ammonia reading 48 hours after the last dose of Prime then you will know you have a problem.

Unfortunately adding a double dose of Prime and aging the water for several hours still gets me a 0.25ppm reading.

I tested the tank water today 24 hours after adding Prime and got the same result. I was planning on waiting the full 48 hours, but my fish were starting to act a little sluggish, so I dosed with Prime again. It could possibly have been all in my head, but I wasn't willing to risk it.

Looks like Prime is my best friend until I can get an RO-DI unit. Man, is my other half ever going to be thrilled with another expense. :rolleyes:

Capts! We've known each other for.. Well.. Actually we don't know all that much about each other.. You're going to have to trust me here.. Stop day dosing prime! Let your tank do its thing! Fish will stage(do nothing by an object) no big deal... I'll be here! I've got some super sensitive clients as well;) Im just asking you cut the prime... Can't be good long term..

Brookster is right. Give it a full 48 hours. Prime stays in the water for 48 hours so you may still be getting a false reading. Just to confirm you're not seeing any nitrites right? Just the .25 of ammonia? What is the pH and temp of your tank?

Back
Top Bottom