Prime for Nitrite spike...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Question...

Things are going my way a bit on my travel. It got put off til this sunday. And I will be back for the weekend on friday evening, flying out again on the following sunday until the following friday.

I devised an "easy care" plan for my neighbor to take care of the fishtanks while I am gone for the 5 days I won't be here to clean them myself if needed.

Seeing as two of my tanks are still mid cycle and into the late stages of nitrite presentation, and I read on the bottle of prime you can dose up to 5x normal for nitrite spikes, I was thinking this might be a viable solution while I am gone for him so he does not need to learn the ins and outs of fishkeeping and tank cleaning.

My thought is on Wednesday, when he comes to feed them/top off the tanks/check the cats, etc, I would leave instructions for him to do a prophylactic 5x prime dose in case there is a large amount of nitrite.

This way, he will not have to test the water or do a PWC. It will only be one time and I will be back on the friday after, and can do major maintenance that evening when I get home.

Barring there are no dead fish, this should make it so all he has to do is feed them (i have pre-prepared their meals into little pillboxes) and dose prime one day. If their are dead fish, I think he can handle netting them out and flushing them.

He enjoys looking at the fish and the tanks, especially the glass cats and barbs. However, and reasonably so, he is not comfortable with being responsible for cleaning them while i am away. IMO, i think this might work out.

Opinions? I know it isn't ideal, but it might get them through. I am going to do all i can to rush these cycles (add more media from my cycled tanks) before i have to leave sunday.

I think it is a reasonable plan. What method of areation do you use in that tank? The only real concern is that a high dose of Prime can depelte the oxygen in the water.

Back
Top Bottom