Prime vrs Aqua Plus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

satch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which is better? In your opinion.... I have both, but I've really only used the Aqua Plus in the 10 years or so I've been keeping an aquarium. I notice it says 1 cap of the Aqua Plus treats 10 gallons, and the Prime says 1 cap for 50 gallons. That's quite a difference!! And if/when I use the Prime, how much does that treat for 10 gallons? About a quarter of a cap? Do I need to worry about adding to much Prime? Should I get a dropper and measure out 1ml which is a bout 10 gallon according to my calculations. What do you all experts think?

I use Prime. And when I measure it, on the back it says each thread inside the cap is 1ml. So when I do 10G's I pour in enough to fill it up to the first thread inside the cap.

So if I was only going to to do, say 1 gallon, would that be 3-4 drops?

I don't know, I have never tried using drops. When I did the 1-5 gallons, I just did like 1/2 of the amount you would for 10G. Which would not take up the whole space of the "bottom" of the cap, if you know what I mean lol. I think you would have to put a ton of Prime in to OD the tank. I usually just use a 5G bucket and fill that up, put 5 ml of the Prime in (just a little in the cap), and then dump out what ever is left over, or save it for next time.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Prime. It is safe up to 5x the recommended dosage. We dose for tank volume when doing a PWC (except on small tanks that we use buckets with) and have never had an issue.

i always just put half a cap full in when i do a pwc on my 10g's... on my 150g, i put 4-5 caps full... i just like to make sure all is well... prime is just the best thing to use, imo

So if I was only going to to do, say 1 gallon, would that be 3-4 drops?

Yes, 3-4 drops would be fine for one gallon. I use one gallon jugs to get new water ready. I also asked a Seachem rep at a MACNA conference and they confirmed 3-4 drops per gallon.

i use 20 drops for 3 gallon...but this is what i do...not necessarily the "correct" method...

Try emailing the sea chem, they have helped me on dosing my nano planted tanks with their products. They will be able to tell you how much to use in smaller amounts of water.

The directions on the trial bottle of prime I have says 2 drops per gallon, but to be on the safe side, I always dose a little more.

I was at the fish store this weekend and bought one of the little Prime bottles and it says 2 drops per gallon! I'm using 3 just to be safe. I guess the bigger bottles assume you'll be doing larger water changes which is why they don't have the dropper top lids. I will now keep the small bottle permanently to use so I can properly measure when I do smaller water changes! THANKS!!

I was at the fish store this weekend and bought one of the little Prime bottles and it says 2 drops per gallon! I'm using 3 just to be safe. I guess the bigger bottles assume you'll be doing larger water changes which is why they don't have the dropper top lids. I will now keep the small bottle permanently to use so I can properly measure when I do smaller water changes! THANKS!!

just make sure its the same concentration, not sure if they make different concentrations for different applications, but it would be best to make sure before using too little or too much with the dropper if you buy the big bottle later down the road

Back to the original question...

What's the difference between dechlorinators? Which do you use and why?

the biggest difference is that prime is super concentrated and you use 5x less than most other dechlorinators, which = more money in your pocket... thats the main reason i use it...

Ditto, same with me. I have had the same bottle since August and have a 75G, 20G, 2 x 10G's and a 5G, and change the water once a week. That is even with having to change some tanks once a day.
But for people who are having a problem with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, it will bind to some of those (a certain ppm though) and make them non-toxic to the fish. Keep in mind though, that it will still show ammo, nitri, and nitra on your tests when you do test.

just make sure its the same concentration, not sure if they make different concentrations for different applications, but it would be best to make sure before using too little or too much with the dropper if you buy the big bottle later down the road
same concentrations just different cap size. they have capful = so many gallons. the biggler bottles i fill from my 2l bottle is capful = 50 gallons.

anyways prime is the only thing ill use.

Back
Top Bottom