prime vs amquel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willowthepoet

Aquarium Advice Activist
i know that everybody here (mostly) swears by prime and that's what i use most of the time... but i have a bottle of amquel plus here that i got when petsmart was out of prime and i don't really want to throw it out.

the labels seem pretty much parallel, but i'm just wondering if it's any good or not.

I have read that there can be problems with Amquel Plus. I don't recall offhand what it is, but it has something to do with ammonia. Sorry I can't be of much help but try searching for Amquel Plus on the Search bar within AA.

Like Fishyfanatic, I seem to remember problems being discussed with Amquel. I think the issue was that it bind ammonia to make it less harmful to fish, but also less available to your bacteria, thus hindering your cycle. That's just working off of vague memories, so you may want to do the search as suggested.

Yes, that sounds right cplawrence. Amquel Plus binds the ammonia which can starve the bacteria. Regular Amquel does not do this, but the Plus version does.

Back
Top Bottom