Pristella Tetras not schooling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I bought 6 healthy looking pristella tetras, and put them in my 29 gallon. All 6 came from the same tank, but right now only 5 are schooling and one of them is just sitting by himself.

The odd part is that sometimes the 6 will split into groups of 3 on opposite sides of the tank, but then they'll reform and leave the one other one out. Any idea what's causing this?

If a schooling fish is not schooling together it means they are comfortable enough with their environment they don't feel the need to. That's a good thing.

As for the outcast, I've heard of a similar story with zebra danios. I believe it was the result of an imbalance in M/F ratio.

Caleb

Ahh ok well that's a bit of a relief then. Ge just sits in one spot and kind of twitches a bit so I thought was stressed or something, but he's not dying or anything lol. And all 6 of them are males, I don't want a bunch of baby fish in my tank haha

Ahh ok well that's a bit of a relief then. Ge just sits in one spot and kind of twitches a bit so I thought was stressed or something, but he's not dying or anything lol. And all 6 of them are males, I don't want a bunch of baby fish in my tank haha

Understandable me neither. Maybe he will perk up and join the group

Caleb

They seem to be doing better now after dropping a bit of brine shrimp in. He looks like he's joining now but still holds out a bit. Will be watching him, thanks

I have pristella tetras and enjoy them. They are quite hardy as well as pretty. Mine don't school much either, but then my Cardinal tetras only school parts of the time and there are 15 of them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom