Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ynotony

Aquarium Advice Regular
So without consulting me earlier today my mother went out shipping but during her shopping trip she stopped at a pet store and wound up buying fish to out into my tank......so the problem I'm facing is my gar and catfish will be here tommorow! And now on top of the neons in the tank for cycling purposes there are now 5 Congo tetras in my tank. She doesn't want to return the. But also doesn't want them to be eaten so is it a safe call to setup a 10 gallon for her so her spur of the moment buy doesn't die as she really likes them

We'll unfortantly they have 2 options......ruff it out in the ten gallon fast setup....or potentially become a snack item.

If u think they will make it in the ten gallon I'm going to move them but if not they will have to rough it out..she bought them in a store 2 hours away so bringing them back isn't an option. But let me know if u guys think they can handle a fresh setup

They can make it in the 10 gallon as long as you do the water changes to keep them safe. you could try transferring some filter media over.

Put the congos in the 10 gallon and use some established media, and use water from your established tank for changes. It'll be cycled in no time. Unless you like the neons they'll make a nice snack, lol.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please dont use old water from another tank when doing water changes on your 10 gallon. There is a reason you're changing out old water for new water, and replacing old water with different old water defeats the purpose.
Also, there's an insignificant amount of BB in the water column and its not worth while to use it to try and cycling another tank. Some of the existing filter media is a different story. Though it kind of sounded like your original aquarium was still in the process of a Fish-In cycle with the neons.

I finished the cycle of my AP system using old tank water, it works just fine, especially if you just swap the water on the tanks, essentially both tanks would have the same chemistry. Meaning, the changes on the ten gallon would be swaps, with scheduled changes on the big tank continuing.

With a gar and catfish on the way I hope op is finished with the cycle by far as they require mature tanks.

Except that there would be absolutely nothing preventing a climbing nitrate level in the 10 gallon. Don't use old tank water for a water change.

Dont use old tank water!!
In my opinion that is terrible advice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Except that there would be absolutely nothing preventing a climbing nitrate level in the 10 gallon. Don't use old tank water for a water change.

The regular, scheduled water changes on the big tank will keep the nitrates in the water down, were talking a couple weeks just to keep the ammonia down. I've done it, it works fine. Whatever.

Got both fish in early this morning drip acclimated them for 3 hours and both are doing really well!! Now as to the problem about the tetras I don't have to worry about them ATM cause both fish came in smaller than expected so the convos will be fine ATM.

And as for the cat fish the place messed up and sent me a beautiful redtail tiger hybrid!!!

Back
Top Bottom