Problem....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono_vivi

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 10G is at 86 degrees because that's how warm my bedroom is(didn't htink it was that hot, thought it was only 79 or 80). Anyways, it's completely filled up, and I'd rather not move it. Is there a way to keep the temperature down?

You could try setting up a fan so it blows across the top of the water. That should help a bit.

If you can't buy an air conditioner then try adding more aeration stones to the tank. Often its the lack of oxygen in warm water that kills fish rather than the warm water itself. Also keep aquarium lights off during heatwave and keep bedroom shades closed during the day. If it gets cool at night make sure your heater is set right so you don't have too crazy a drop in temperature at night. Some people are tempted to turn their heater off altogether in the summer but that's a bad idea. If you get a real cool night the temp in the tank could drop too rapidly.

Yeah my room isnt' grounded so I cant' get a small AC unit. So just stick the air stones in the gravel then?

Yep - that is probably going to be your best bet. The fish are likely acclimated to it, but it will be important to keep the water oxygenated.

86 degrees!! in the bedroom! How do you survive in there much less the fish! WOW! We keep our house 68 year round but the humidity in North Carolina is awful also.

you could also keep the temperature down by adding plastic zip lock bags of ice every now and then. it works for me!

yep, an under gravel bubbler or anything else that creates bubbles is good. If you have a filter that hangs on the back you can drop your water level which will create a bigger splash and agitate the water more and this will help with aeration as well. Adding ice is harder cause you would have to do it consistently so your temps aren't fluctuating all over the place. I wouldn't personally recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom