Problem Feeding my African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rohitp78

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Everyone,

I have an african dwarf frog from and i have a really hard time feeding him. First he was in 10 gallon tank and the feeding technique i used to feed him was, finding large flakes and sinking it down to him with help of thin wodden stick and keep it vibrating so that he sees and pounces on it. If i just sunk flakes to him without vibrating then he won't eat it. In the same way i used to feed him frozen blood worms. Now i have moved him to my new 30 gallon tank, and this procedure is very difficult to adopt due to height of the tank. Also as this tank is huge the frog is hiding into some deocrations all the time durning feeding time.

Do you guys have any suggestions on feeding him?

Thanks

Just drop in plenty of bloodworms and hope that he finds them before they get snarfed up by everyone else....feeding some at or just before lights out may help, too.

I purchased a turkey baster specifically for blood worms (wouldn't want to mix it up with one you actually use on a turkeyt LOL). That way you can place the blood worms directly in front of your ADF. Also you can get a small jar and keep it in the same spot, near where your ADF likes to hang out. Put the food/bloodworms in it and they will go in and get them.

Thanks for the replies. I hope this will work out, as he likes his food to be vibrating before he pounces it. Also many times its hard to find him, but i think he will come out if he gets hungry.

The other option i have in mind is putting him in a small, 1/2 gallon container that i have for fish transport.

But first i will try feeding him with the turkey baster or Kent SeaSquirt

Thanks again..

I wouldn't keep it in anything smaller than a 2.5 gal tank, 1/2 gallon is just too small IMO.
I use an eye dropper for frozen foods. They usually find and eat some of the sinking pellets I drop in for the cories and plecos as well.

The turkey baster should work fine as long as you drop the food in front of him. Turkey basters are cheap so nothing to lose there. A 1/2 gal is too small I agree. If you put him in his own tank, I'd recommend at least 5 gals with a friend or two. :D

Thanks again for suggestions. I will buy turkey baster and will not move him to a smaller home.

I personally feed my ADF Shrimp pellets that sink to the bottom and then when it gets wet it seperates which the frog loves... they have no problem eating it.. might be an idea as well..

Back
Top Bottom