Problem in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I would like if someone can help me discover what might be wrong with my tank. I'be tested me water and everything seems to be normal.
My plants are getting covered with something very dark it looks like they're turning black. I'm about to do my weekly water change and just from last week my take is bad.
Would anyone know what might be causing this blackness in my plants and some on my tank decorations?

Would approximate everyone's help and any great advice.
Thank you!!

Likely algae. When I had this I reduced my lights on time down to 4-5 hours per day and don't have it anymore.

Likely algae. When I had this I reduced my lights on time down to 4-5 hours per day and don't have it anymore.

That may be the problem. I usually turn the lights on when I wake up and turn them off when I go to sleep. So they're only off during the night. But yes it's probably a good idea to reduce the amount of like per day. I just feel the fish will feel depressed since they won't have light.

I have lots of natural light in my room, so I can still see them pretty well, and they can still have some light, just not very bright or direct.

They are fish. They will be happy to have clean water and food and space to swim.

In a planted tank you only need to run lights a max of 6-8 hours a day. Also what are your nitrate and phosphate readings. That appears to be the start of black beard algae which can be spot treated with Flourish Excel.

In a planted tank you only need to run lights a max of 6-8 hours a day. Also what are your nitrate and phosphate readings. That appears to be the start of black beard algae which can be spot treated with Flourish Excel.

Thank you I will take your advice in trying the flourish excel

Thank you I will take your advice in trying the flourish excel

You can use 2ml of Excel per 10g of water, pull that amount up in a needleless syringe, put the syringe right up to the plant with algae and slowly squirt the Excel on the algae. If you have alot you will have to do a different area of the tank each day. Also for stubborn algae you may have to go back and treat a second time. The algae will turn pink/red/white when it starts dying.

You can use 2ml of Excel per 10g of water, pull that amount up in a needleless syringe, put the syringe right up to the plant with algae and slowly squirt the Excel on the algae. If you have alot you will have to do a different area of the tank each day. Also for stubborn algae you may have to go back and treat a second time. The algae will turn pink/red/white when it starts dying.

Would the flourish excel do any harm to my fish? And would I have to put it in weekly and do I put it directly into the tank water or do I insert it through the filter and then it slowly spreads on its own?

Exact instructions on how to spot treat are in the post above. That is the only way to spot treat for BBA. Excel is perfectly safe when used as directed.

Exact instructions on how to spot treat are in the post above. That is the only way to spot treat for BBA. Excel is perfectly safe when used as directed.

Sounds good then :) thank you for your help and I am sure going to try it.

Back
Top Bottom