problem with lemon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am a new aquarium owner with a 29 gallon tank. I'm not sure what the filter is- its the one that came in the box. Normal gravel. Heater. I've been keeping the tempature at about 81-82 degrees. I have the following fish in the tank:

1 opaline blue gourami- 2 1/2 inches
4 mollies (1 male, three females, one pregnant)
3 neon tetras (3/4 inch)
4 lemon tetras (1 1/2 inches)
2 black tetras (2 inches)
2 platys, one male, one female (1 inch)
3 red tetras (1 inch)
1 pleco (2 3/4 inches)
1 chinese algae eater (2 inches)

Someone on AA told me I am way overstocked, and, paradoxically, I need more schooling fish to bring up the number to six each. (!!!) I am planning to get a second tank (20 gallon) but it will be a while before I can afford it and am cycled. Don't know if that is big enough.....

But anyway, one of my lemon tetras can't keep down his food. All fish are eating vigourously, but one lemon tetra keeps throwing up the flakes he eats. Other than that, he is acting fine- but that can't be good.

BTW, I last replaced water last Saturday. I will clean it again as soon as I am finished writing this. Last time I took out four gallons, this time I will try to take out ten.

Thanks.

Spitting out food isn't neccesarily a problem as just a sign of a finicky eater. Try giving them some freeze-dried or frozen foods and see if the lemon tetra eats then. If he is acting normal, my guess is he is just picky. ;)

You are a little overstocked. Frequent weekly water changes will help until you can get your new tank.

HTH

how long have you had this fish?
if hes fairly new it might take a while before he just accepts anything.
when i first got my discus. i had to go out and buy like 10 different foods and they kept regecting it. Well now they eat anything and everything i give them. I think just give him time if hes new and try different things and see what he likes and before you know it he will be eating anything.
goodluck.

Back
Top Bottom