Problem with Rena Filstar xP2 tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having a problem with the tubing that came with my Rena Filstar xP2. The entire inside of the tube has some kind of red growth on it. It's not anywhere else in the tank or the filter, just in the tubes. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. Or if anyone knew what the stuff was. I have fully cleaned out the filter and tubes before, but it comes right back. It doesn't appear to be hurting anything, I wonder though if it's causing these outbreaks of green water. Anyways here is a pic of the stuff.

I have seen this when using my Diatom Filter for extended periods of time (Vortex says it can be used as a permanent filter; I tend to disagree...). What you're seeing is a rust-colored algae growth, and I assume this is happening because of the proportionately higher amount of nutrients that touch the inside of the tubing of your filter. I tried to scrrub mine out, but have no pipe cleaner long enough. Instead, I just ran water through the hose, and vigorously clenched the hose at 1-inch intervals, rubbing the upper and lower surfaces of the inside of the hose together. This, along with the high water pressure, was enough to get most of the gunk out.

I wonder if other canister filter ppl have this issue, and if all canister filter intake/outflow tubes are translucent like James's. Perhaps others aren't aware of this happening.

I can't see this blocking up your tubes, and this is certainly not the *cause* of your green water, but it may be symptomatic of over-feeding. How often do you change your water? You might want to think of changing water a bit more frequently and testing for nitrate and phosphate levels. Light reduction will do nothing for rust algae (as is obvious.... yours is in a dark place), so you may *not* benefit from shutting the tank lights off for a while...

So, keep your water as clean as possible and starve those nasty algae!

The hoses on my Eheim look like that as well. I have never thought much of it, I would think the hoses are a good place for bacteria to grow due to the high flow rate.

Try to switch to the ribbed hose from Fluval, the design of the hose seem to prevent such algae colonizing inside the hose, all though you can't see thru the hose! I got my Fluval runs for months and haven't clean the hose, and have no problem of clogging or watever.

most people have reported just the opposite with the fluval hoses, particularly where the hose bends to go into the tank :p

Hrm, well that weird;
When the hose bends to go into the tank, the plastic corner thing, the L shape piece of plastic that supplied with the hose need to put on, otherwise I think the hose will be crushed and clogg, I'll take picture of the hoses inside my tank and we'll see.

My xP3 has thesame kind of tubing. It's just a thin film of bacteria that grows on the inner surface. I wouldn't worry about it restricting flow- it's not sticky enough, and if it built up to the point it was restricting flow, the increased pressure would just wash it away. If you don't like the way it works, try gently sueezing the tube while the pump is running. The water rushing through the small gap will wash away the bacteria in that area.

Good luck-

-J

I was doing water changes once every two weeks. Taking 25% each time. It's a pain though with a larger tank(46g) So I have switched to taking out about 5-6g each week. I do test weekly for the following Ammonia, Nitrites, GH, KH, pH. Lighting runs for about 9hrs a day. I do however feed everyday, and there is a good chance I feed to much. I have a pretty have stock of plants, I was hoping they would assist in filtering. Nother thing I should mention, I was at one point fertilizing with Seachem Flourish twice a week 2ml. I havn't done this though for maybe two weeks now. As for the algae, it doesn't appear to be hurting anything so I will leave it. Thanks for the replys.

Leave it be, as it is harming not a thing. I have had it in all my canisters, Eheim and Filstar, and I have experimented with keeping it cleaned out, and not bothering, with no appreciable difference.

go to walmart and get the aquarium filter brush that looks like a mini chimney sweep - the kind with the hoop/ring on the end of the handle.

take a long wire (or piece of thin rope) and tie one end to the handle, now feed the wire through your hose, and tie that end also to the handle... now pull the wire (and the attached brush) back and forth through the hose several times.

you'll be amazed at the gook - do this outside and with grubby clothes on ;)

I have the fluval 'ribbed' hose, and it gunks up just like any other high nutriant high flow area would ... mostly it's bacteria, maybe some algae but I doubt it.

it's actually very helpfull as a biofilter to have in there, but really slows your filter down over time as it builds up.

Yeah we all have that issue with tubing.. I just iognored it.. I'll notice when my flow slows the heck down though..., by then I'll replace it with black tubing if need be to help prevent some growth

Back
Top Bottom