problems again maybe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rikiv1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all, i recently bought a couple angelfish, a black one and an albino one. the albino fish died 4 days later, and then the petstore gave me another one to compensate. now i brought this new albino home and it is not eating and it seems like the black angel is bullying the albino. do i have something to worry about? i only have one tank and i separated the black angel (temporarily) into a very large rubbermaid bowl with water from the tank so that hopefully the new albino fish will eat. I donn't plan on leaving it like this for more than 8 hours. only while i sleep. but what should i do? it takes so long to cycle an new tank. and all three angels came from the same tank at the store, so i don't understand why there would be problems...

What are your tank parameters?

pH, Ammonia, ect ?

How long as the tank been set up?

How big is the tank?

what is in the tank with the angels? list decorations and such to

:)

water sample at store was perfect...
temp 80 degrees
set up since april
38 galllon hex
3 neon tetras, one pleco, 4 plastic plants and 2 decorative figures( roman column and waterfall)

Well, I know that angel fish when put into a new tank can be rather aggressive towrads eachother, its because their setting up their own territories and figuring out the pecking order [ Like, whose the strongest, ect ect. ]

Once they figure out all this they can live quite peacefully.

However, There may be some drastic difference between their tanks and your tanks.

You say their perfect, but what are they? Your fish could, say, be suffering from a pH shock or something if your pH is different than that of the store.

Also, new fish may not eat for many days. Its just the stress of moving makes them loose their appitite.

If he dosn't eat after the third, or fourth day [ I have some tetra's that held out for full week before eating. not very good, but it thats what they wanted I guess ]

When he gets comfortable he'll eat, your constantly moving him between bowl at night and tank at day [ if my understanding is right that you put him the bowl every night while you sleep? ] is most likely only making the problem worse.

without hte other in their the Black one is probably likely to be even more aggressive towards it.

As long as you have enough plants and/or hiding spots everything should be fine, unless the albino appears to be acting sick.

such as breathing heavily, or labored movement, or any other unfishlike acts.

Also, what are you feeding?

Angels like flakes, tubifex, and I believe they also enjoy other things such as brine shrimp and bloodworms

Nice job William :)

Just a coupla thoughts to add:

Don't put the angel in that container overnight. If its 5g or less the amount of ammonia coming from the fish's respiration and poo may be enough to cause problems. Also, they need room to move so, it most likely is too small.

Redecorate your tank. Move the plants and the figures. It will break up the first angels territory, as thats what he's defending right now. Should reduce some of the aggressive behavior, although know that single angelfish can become VERY aggressive. Dunno why, just know I've read about it. Hopefully moving things around will help.

Allivymar said:
Nice job William :)

Just a coupla thoughts to add:

Don't put the angel in that container overnight. If its 5g or less the amount of ammonia coming from the fish's respiration and poo may be enough to cause problems. Also, they need room to move so, it most likely is too small.

Redecorate your tank. Move the plants and the figures. It will break up the first angels territory, as thats what he's defending right now. Should reduce some of the aggressive behavior, although know that single angelfish can become VERY aggressive. Dunno why, just know I've read about it. Hopefully moving things around will help.

Bet its a surprise to find out I actually know something :p :wink: :D :wink: :p

Back
Top Bottom