Problems caused - always learning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok this week's induced problem.

Felt like my plants weren't doing as well as they should be.

Noticed a potassium deficiency.

Bought dry ferts. And mixed as instructed. Did NOT dose as instructed.

Noticed a behavioral change in fish. Angel very irate and bullying, harlequin rapid breathing (usually a sign of damage done, impending death) swordtail fins white blotches. One neon lost, one neon white growth. Male ram colours severely washed out. Extra peppering on male swordtails head (could be imagining that one) male sword not hiself occasional clamping.

Checked parameters

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423249606.975780.jpg

Hello stupidly high nitrates.

Lesson = fish first, plants last. Don't assume plants will 'take care' of nitrates. Follow instructions on EI card, always start slow. High nitrates ARE bad for fish!

This is 2 days short of a week from last water change of about 60%

What an idiot.

Cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you dose nitrates/kno3? I had a similar issue with stupid high nitrates, i over did it on the root tabs and under did it on wc's. Didn't notice any difference in fish behavior. I agree that fish should be kept as comfy as possible throughout the quest for planted perfection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you dose nitrates/kno3? I had a similar issue with stupid high nitrates, i over did it on the root tabs and under did it on wc's. Didn't notice any difference in fish behavior. I agree that fish should be kept as comfy as possible throughout the quest for planted perfection.

Yeah potassium nitrate and root tabs.

Also noticed a lot of 'yawning' as if fishes gills were irritated.

I have a lot of soft water fish. My water is naturally soft. Adding all these minerals isn't good for them I guess.

Yeah potassium nitrate and root tabs.

Also noticed a lot of 'yawning' as if fishes gills were irritated.

I have a lot of soft water fish. My water is naturally soft. Adding all these minerals isn't good for them I guess.

I did chick nitrates a few weeks back but this has been progressively getting worse as I was obviously not resetting nitrates before over dosing each week. Stupid plants

I don't even dose nitrates in my tank because my fish do that for me!

As far as your fish not liking the added goodies to your soft water, I'd say they would probably get used to it if you acclimated them by doing smaller doses. I'm not real familiar with the EI method, but I'd imagine putting lots of ferts in the tank would be a big change for them.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Yeah I think this was a problem that happened over time though. Did a big water change and everything seems a lot calmer although the harlequin is still breathing a little heavily.

I dosed nitrate because it was in the pack. Probably just mix up a potassium phosphate in future.

I'd totally cut trate dosing and just get straight potassium if possible, i don't dose because of my heavy stocking..

This sort of happened to me with root tabs not long ago

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My original plant fertilizer was a dry mix that came in a all in one package including the potassium nitrate. I constantly had issues with nitrates until I switched to EI dosing and mixed the nitrate separately. I still have the same full 500mL bottle I mixed a year and a half ago.

My original plant fertilizer was a dry mix that came in a all in one package including the potassium nitrate. I constantly had issues with nitrates until I switched to EI dosing and mixed the nitrate separately. I still have the same full 500mL bottle I mixed a year and a half ago.

Yeah I'll be doing that from now on. Good to know in not alone lol.

Back
Top Bottom