Problems with a tank on the floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys. I was wondering if a fish tank as large as say, 40 gallons, can simply sit on the floor, perhaps on some strong wooden boards. I know that a stand is the most optimal way to go, and that it provides for better viewing and storage space, but is there anything wrong in theory with having a tank on the floor?

Rosenweiss said:
Hi guys. I was wondering if a fish tank as large as say, 40 gallons, can simply sit on the floor, perhaps on some strong wooden boards. I know that a stand is the most optimal way to go, and that it provides for better viewing and storage space, but is there anything wrong in theory with having a tank on the floor?

I don't see a problem with it, but keep in mind floors can have irregular twists, raised boards, etc. I'd probably use my level to make sure it was close to level/flat and put a piece of plywood under it (extended beyond rim) for added protection. I know my dog would love it :D.

Hahaha. Yeah, that would be amusing for a cat to watch, too. I figure if I'm going to do it, though, I probably shouldn't do it on the cheap. Thanks for your help!

Make sure that it is well covered. I've found from doing computer repair work that anything left on the floor is more likely to get dirt, or other things, into it.

Good point. =] I would make sure that it had a glass or regular top.

If your floor is smooth and level, there's no issue other than someone may accidentally kick the tank. I have a 20L on the bottom level of a stand and here are the issues I've run into:

1. Siphoning water is a pain. There's little potential energy to power the siphon because tank is so close to the ground. It makes cleaning the tank difficult because I don't get much suction. I'm draining to a floor drain. If you were siphoning down the stairs or out a window with a long python, you shouldn't have this problem.

2. You have to lie on the floor to see the fish. It's very relaxing, but it's not for everyone.

I have a couple tanks close to floor level and the only problem is that I can't use a canister filter. But o like sponge filters too so it's not really a problem.

Good points BigJim. I didn't think of those, but it would be difficult to siphon clean a tank there, and probably uncomfortable. You would probably need to get a power gravel vac to clean the tank.

I used to keep a 10 gallon on the floor. It was difficult to clean and see the fish. Plus, if I walked up to the tank too quickly the fish would all hide. There were no problems other than that though, nothing with the floor or anything. You might want to check craigslist for a used stand though. I just bought a stand that came with a 29 gallon tank for my 20l for $30. Before that, I just used an old toybox (we tested it to make sure it could hold the weight).

I would be concerned with drafts coming under doors, and passing over the top of the tank under windows...does that make sense?

I would be concerned with drafts coming under doors, and passing over the top of the tank under windows...does that make sense?

That makes sense to me. I kept mine in a corner of my room, so I had no problems. I would make sure it is away from doors and windows.

I agree they would be more prone to drafts. The floor is always going to be colder than if it was on a stand because cold air sinks. The floor will also conduct heat away from the tank, thus making the heater run more than if it was on a stand.

adadkins1 said:
I agree they would be more prone to drafts. The floor is always going to be colder than if it was on a stand because cold air sinks. The floor will also conduct heat away from the tank, thus making the heater run more than if it was on a stand.

Stole my next words :)

Wow, everyone! Thanks so much, those are some great points. Probably I will invest in a stand if I do this in the future...

adadkins1 said:

I have my 37g tall right in front of a huge window (single pane, blinds) and have zero temp issues (winter/summer). A cold draft from a door/window isn't going to drop the temp 5 or 10 degrees in a couple seconds, it might be cooler but a heater can handle it IMO/E. I'd be worried it would get kicked or a trip and fall more than a draft.

Maybe he wants to put it on the 2nd floor by a staircase to be viewed as someone is going up/down? Humm, I kinda like that idea :D.

Back
Top Bottom