Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Problems with Nitrates!

so i have this 8 gallon tank with fluvial plant stratum and was hoping if anybody else uses this. my nitrates have gone up to 40 ppm and it is killing some of my shrimps in this tank. currently housing 4 chili rasboras, 10 tiger shrimps and now 7 rili shrimps with lots of plants. i want to know if maybe the cause of this is the fluvial plant stratum, if anybody uses this tell me your water parameters currently. oh and the bag says it helps nitrifying bacteria. does this mean it is giving off big nitrates? also how can i quickly put the nitrates down is there a filter media that would help?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone?

Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have not used it but I did a little research for you. I found several reviews that said it caused ammonia spikes in their tanks. That makes sense because of the organic compounds in the substrate. Beneficial bacteria feed off of ammonia and produce Nitrate. That is probably why you had a nitrate spike and why the substrate says it helps with the nitrate. You need to do water changes until the nitrates stay below 20. Shrimp and many fish have bad reactions to high nitrates. I learned that the hard way this week. I moved some plants and dug around in my substrate which caused a nitrate spike. I have lost all my blue pearls and a lot of ghost shrimp.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank you! i thought nobody will ever respond! i just finished doing a 50% water change and it went down a bit close to 20 ppm hopefully it will stay like that until this saturday when i do another water change.

Tags
ate, nitrate, nitrates, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com