Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylvr11

Aquarium Advice Activist
A local high school is having students taking biology get a 2L bottle and putting soil and plants in it from the park and having kids fill it with untreated tap water, putting a fish in it and closing it with the lid for three weeks without feeding the fish. I've tried complaining to the school and it didn't work. My lfs has done so as well but nothing changed. What can I do to stop this absurd project.

Side note: They are encouraged to use either tetras, guppies, or goldfish. The teachers have also warned the students to not let the fish stores know they are using the fish for a project in order for them to be sold the fish.

Is the project titled, "How long does it take chloramine to kill a fish?"
Or maybe, "Does a dead fish make a good fertilizer in a contained system?"

I mean, forget the oxygen issue, and the food issue is the least concern.

It's the chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals in the water that will kill the fish. I doubt they'll last two days.

I know it's actually a project about photosynthesis and the students are supposed to see if the plants can provide food for the fish to survive off of but they are not taking any of those other factors in to play

I think you should report the school for animal cruelty, or at least threaten to, so that they know this is not okay. Have you contacted the teacher who is conducting such a horrible project, or the head of the school? Perhaps we could start a petition or write a letter to them. When is this project taking place?

I think you should report the school for animal cruelty, or at least threaten to, so that they know this is not okay. Have you contacted the teacher who is conducting such a horrible project, or the head of the school? Perhaps we could start a petition or write a letter to them. When is this project taking place?

I have contacted the asst principal and she got back to me on the matter for a bit but then stopped and I can't get ahold of her now. She was supposed to speak with the principal about the issue. The worst part is the WHOLE biology department is running this project. It is taking place now. It was assigned about a week or a week and a half ago. I called and tried to bring it to a halt but nothing worked. They simply do not care.

That's terrible. All you can do at this point is let them know you're reporting them for animal cruelty and try to get some evidence or photos of what they're doing. Do you know any high schoolers who could get photos for you? That would help when you report them.

Not just that, but make that go viral. Twitter and Facebook will blow that up. Have a short video explaing why this is doomed to fail, that even a small amount of research would show this, and get statements that some teachers are actively telling students to lie to store owners about their purchases. Do NOT defame anyone's name, just the experiment itself. Make this a was against an inhumane and guaranteed to fail experiment.

The problem with social media is that if I read something like this I assume it's inflammatory garbage 99% of the time. Someone looking for hits to a post or just being an idiot. Call the local news media. Then call the school district office and the superintendent and let them know you called the media and complain.

This is definitely a time to yell and stomp your feet.

How did you learn about this project?

About this time last year I read a thread from a student whose teacher was doing something similar. Very upsetting for that student!

Keep telling people until someone does something about it.

My younger siblings teacher assigned it. I think they tightened the bottle lid and let it sit starting Tuesday. The school covers it by saying that students don't have to use fish they can use a cricket or a lady bug. Yet, around probably 95% are using fish if not more. For about 3 days straight students carried the fish in a Tupperware container to and from school and to all their classes.

So your parents know about this? Hopefully your younger sibling is not torturing innocent creatures! Definitely get loud.

Call animal control. Call the local news. Be obnoxious. This is a terrible and cruel thing.

My sibling used a spider and poked holes in the top of the bottle. But also stated most of the kids in class are using a fish.

Update: The school hasn't helped at all so I contacted the humane society. I also contacted the superintendent and she promised to take care of it. The fish have developed dark black spots on their bodies and fins whether it's due to ammonia or chloramines I'm not sure. The teachers have now told the students to take the fish home and care for it so it doesn't die.

I would have walked in taking video of the fish and getting the teachers in the video as well. That alone will get them to stop with all of the public shaming going on on Facebook currently and how effective it is becoming. I probably would have been kicked out of school I am so mad.

If you tell us the school name and the teachers names I can post about it on Facebook and get my aquarium Facebook groups in on it as well.

Update: School principal just touched base with me. Superintendent is working to have the project cancelled from ever being performed again. It is a district wide project apparently. We'll see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom