Project Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm trying to make a list of fish, plants, equipment and I'm probably going to need some help with the tank size. So, starting with fish, I want to house a small school of fancy guppies (the guppies I have already are very lively and fun to watch) and I'd also like to incorporate a fish I recently heard of, the threadfin rainbows. Threadfin Rainbowfish, Iriatherina werneri, Featherfin Rainbowfish I watched some videos of them recently and loved their displays. I was hoping to put a peacock eel in as well, as both the threadfins and the eel appreciate low light and, of course, the eel looks fantastic. Peacock Eel, Macrognathus siamensis Spot-Finned Spiny Eel Fish Guide I'd like to also put a longfin green dragon pleco in to share the lower level with the eel. The pleco, believe it or not, I want to be my center piece fish. If you haven't seen these fish, they are outstanding and behave like most ancistrus from what I can tell. Plecostomus Green Dragon I figure all of these fish should do alright with one another and I don't think I'd have an over-abundance with something like a 55 gallon but I'd love to hear some opinions for tank size. for reference, I plan on 10 guppies, 10 threadfins, 1 peacock eel and the 1 green dragon. I figure a 55 would give the pleco plenty of space to claim as territory and also enough room to plant the tank with nice, tall stuff that will blot out some light for the eel and threadfins. I do have a few concerns as I don't know much of the peacock eel temperament wise. I assume the guppies would move too fast to become prey (although I'm certain the eel's mouth is too small anyway) but does anyone have any experience with a bristlenose and a peacock eel? would the pleco be too territorial and try to shoo the eel out of his hiding place? or would he suck onto his side? Those 2 getting along would be a main concern. As for plants, I mainly want some nice tall plants, some floaters to help with lighting and probably the rest will be picked for their looks and requirements (what can do well in low light and I want some color variation) for equipment, I don't have a clue what to do for a filter. lighting should be easy to pick as should the heater and, if needed, and airstone, though, I hope to plant the tank heavily enough to create plenty of O2. But the filter is the real issue, as I don't know what to do flow wise. Also, substrate wise, I may need some assistance but I'd like to go with a darkish or tan colored sand for the sake of the eel. But, yeah this is, in all, what I've got figured out for my "Dream tank" and I'm open to any real input. Sorry about the essay sized post.

I'd avoid the eel. Threadfin Rainbowfish need to be with small, passive fish (Tetras, small Rasboras, Corydoras, small Loaches, Pencilfish, etc.). I'd go with Kuhli Loaches as the alternative. They are eel-like and stay smaller.

My tank thread may give you some ideas for low light plants (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/fishenthusiasts-30-gallon-planted-odyssey-341315.html). I run pressurized CO2 and have lots of flow, but there is no reason why someone can't have a colorful low light tank without the fancy gadgets. Microsorum (Java Fern) and Anubias are your best friends for low light tanks. Those two are hard to kill. Bucephalandra can get colorful in low light, and many Crypts can too. Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko" is a great green plant to try. Hardy and really green! Many Echinodorus can get tall and are easy and colorful. Vallisneria will also get tall.

In terms of filtration, you can't go wrong with Eheim. They are more expensive, but will last longer and are of better quality than most canister filters out there. The classics are better than the professional series from my research.

okay, I'll definitely look into the kuhli loaches. if I do go with them, should I have more than one? Also, thanks for all the help, fishenthusiast.

okay, I'll definitely look into the kuhli loaches. if I do go with them, should I have more than one? Also, thanks for all the help, fishenthusiast.

No problem! I'd get a group of 5 or more. With that tank size, I'd say you can get a group of 10, which will make them less skittish. They are very hardy.

Back
Top Bottom