Propagating narrow leaf water sprite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am doing a wc today and I have a couple of baby sprites growing that I want to propagate. Can't find any good advice online. Is it better to cut them off an leave the original plant or pinch them off?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am doing a wc today and I have a couple of baby sprites growing that I want to propagate. Can't find any good advice online. Is it better to cut them off an leave the original plant or pinch them off?

I find that if I let water sprite do its own thing it will grow bunches of roots that can then be removed and planted.

However, you should be able to just cut a stem off and plant it.

Will it damage the mother plant? I had 2 mother plants that had at least 4" long roots growing from the new growth. The both of them were older and had a slight amount of algae growing on them. I cut them right below the roots and planted them and discarded the rest of both plants.

Will it damage the mother plant? I had 2 mother plants that had at least 4" long roots growing from the new growth. The both of them were older and had a slight amount of algae growing on them. I cut them right below the roots and planted them and discarded the rest of both plants.

Nah, it shouldn't

Nah, it shouldn't

Thanks for the quick reply! I've had a lot of changes in my tank lately . I pulled all my fake plants and have only real now. Also I recently have developed an algae issue. Just need to find a balance.

Back
Top Bottom