Proper hetpater placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
I always mine horizontally middle of my tank about 3" inches above the substrate (since heat rises). But I consistently see others with other members with their heater diagonally, or even vertically on one side of the aquarium.
Does heater placement make that much of a difference?

That's how I place mine, only additional thing I do is place a source of current at the heater, wether it's a canister output or circulation pump. Most of my heaters are placed in sumps with the return pumps.

I placed mine next to the inflow and/or outflow of the filter.

I never understood why anybody put them vertical. It requires unplugging when doing a water change that way. I always put mine horizontally just above the substrate. Usually, it's under the intake of my filter if possible.

I never understood why anybody put them vertical. It requires unplugging when doing a water change that way. I always put mine horizontally just above the substrate. Usually, it's under the intake of my filter if possible.

You have to turn off your filters anyway, why not the heater?

It's more of a 'if you forget to' kind of thing. A filter will let you know pretty quick if you forget, by either making more noise with splashing, or making the dry grinding noise. A heater... well... it has the possibility to do more than that.

I think most people use power strips into GFCI outlets, at least everyone I know. So it's one switch and everything's on or off, no forgetting that way. But I understand what your saying.

HUKIT said:
I think most people use power strips into GFCI outlets, at least everyone I know. So it's one switch and everything's on or off, no forgetting that way. But I understand what your saying.

Exactly how all of mine are set up. Each tank has its own power strip. One button turns everything off for maintenance and water changes. I also put my heaters 3 inches below the water level vertically by the outtakes. Just in case of evap.

Back
Top Bottom