Proper Location For Aquarium Heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealnickster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where is the best placement for the aquarium heater? Vertical or horizontal? I have an Aqueon Submersible Heater 100 watt in a 40 gallon pentagon tank. Do any of you have experience with this heater? Is it any good or should I upgrade? If I should upgrade, what are your suggestions on brands?

Thanks,
Nicole

I always recommend Cobalt Neotherm. They are digital and tell you the actual temp not just what they are set at. The instructions with your heater should tell you how to position it. Off hand I don't know the procedure for that heater but when in doubt I place them up and down with the adjustable part up and where you can easily reach and adjust it if necessary

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The best place for a heater is right next to the filter intake. Either vertical next to it or horizontal under it. Thats up to you.

I always recommend Cobalt Neotherm. They are digital and tell you the actual temp not just what they are set at. The instructions with your heater should tell you how to position it. Off hand I don't know the procedure for that heater but when in doubt I place them up and down with the adjustable part up and where you can easily reach and adjust it if necessary

Thank you Brennae! The Colbalt Neotherm looks amazing! It is definitely going on my "to buy" list! Did you buy yours online or did your LFS have it? Unfortunately I don't have any LFS in my area so I rely on the pet stores near my home to have what I need. I ask about the placement of the heater because I read somewhere that some people place it near or under the filter, horizontal near the substrate, or just anywhere near the back of the tank. So where is the best placement is to ensure that there are no hot or cold spots and that the heat gets distributed evenly through the tank?

Nicole

I like aqueon pros.
Any heater that is submersible is still better off being vertical(straight up and down), so that if it leaks the water goes to the less important parts.
Best placement is in the most flow so heat is evenly distributed.
That being said most of my aqueon pros lay horizontal on tank bottom for breeders or sump.
All heaters have 'quirks' so IMO a good thermometer is important also .
I use the cheap floating glass ones.

I like aqueon pros.
Any heater that is submersible is still better off being vertical(straight up and down), so that if it leaks the water goes to the less important parts.
Best placement is in the most flow so heat is evenly distributed.
That being said most of my aqueon pros lay horizontal on tank bottom for breeders or sump.
All heaters have 'quirks' so IMO a good thermometer is important also .
I use the cheap floating glass ones.

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have both the Aqueon Pro and Cobalt Neotherm. Both work good, but I like how the Cobalt shows actual tank temp as well as what it's set at. For what it's worth, I have the Aqueon Pro mounted horizontal below my filter intake. I have the Cobalt mounted vertical right above my filter intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neotherm had to be mounted up and down to work properly. Yes my lfs has them but they are about $20 more per heater than Amazon. Ken's price is very close to Amazon so if you don't have Prime you'll need to compare shipping costs. I use Marina thermometers, the one I like has a suction cup and is rather large. I have trouble getting the exact temp reading from the smaller ones. That's really just a personal preferance. The big box stores don't usually have the neotherm heaters I wish they did because sometimes you need one right away. If you can wait though order online for best deal.

Thanks everyone!
I decided to place my heater vertically right next to the filter intake so that in case I need to raise or lower the temperature I can reach it without having to pull it out (I have tiny arms and a tall aquarium, UGH!).

Back
Top Bottom