Proper method to QT new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the proper method to QT new fish anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's say you buy 2 types of fish from different tanks at the LFS with intent to introduce them into your existing set up...

Is it smart buy / introduce new fish from diff LFS tanks at the same time?

Or Should you just introduce one species at a time?

And what is the proper length of time for a QT ?

and what exactly are you looking for during QT?

I added numbers for each question to make the answers more separated.
Ponch said:
Let's say you buy 2 types of fish from different tanks at the LFS with intent to introduce them into your existing set up...

1. Is it smart buy / introduce new fish from diff LFS tanks at the same time?

2. Or Should you just introduce one species at a time?

3. And what is the proper length of time for a QT ?

4. and what exactly are you looking for during QT?
1. No. Unless you have multiples QTs, you should only quarantine one species at a time, from one source.
2. Yes
3. Atleast a week. However if you see signs of stress or sickness, you should quarantine them for longer (until they look healthy).
4. Any signs of stress, sickness or injury, or unhappiness

maxwellag said:
1. No. Unless you have multiples QTs, you should only quarantine one species at a time, from one source.
2. Yes
3. Atleast a week. However if you see signs of stress or sickness, you should quarantine them for longer (until they look healthy).
4. Any signs of stress, sickness or injury, or unhappiness

Thanks for the info. With plans to add more fish to my new 26gallon sounds like i should keep the 5 gallon running for a bit. !

Ponch said:
Thanks for the info. With plans to add more fish to my new 26gallon sounds like i should keep the 5 gallon running for a bit. !

Usually a ten gallon tank is minimum for a QT

Is it smart buy / introduce new fish from diff LFS tanks at the same time? Won't matter if they are from multiple tanks at the LFS. The chances are high that they are on a common filtration system and have been exposed to the same things.

Or Should you just introduce one species at a time?
You should stock gradually and conservatively overall. The number of species you introduce at a particular time isn't the important factor. Load and compatibility are.

And what is the proper length of time for a QT ?
Ich is generally the most common disease to present and has a life cycle of 22-28 days so the general rule is a month of QT to be clear.

and what exactly are you looking for during QT?
Anything not normal.

Imo, anything less than three weeks is suboptimal QT practice, as some diseases will talk awhile to fully affect the host. Also, depending on the fish, a 5g can be an acceptable QT tank.

aqua_chem said:
Imo, anything less than three weeks is suboptimal QT practice, as some diseases will talk awhile to fully affect the host. Also, depending on the fish, a 5g can be an acceptable QT tank.

Id be qt small fish like zebra danios and maybe a dwarf gourami so hopefully 5g is ok. Otherwise my wife i going to stop being understanding with all these tank purchases :)

Really good info aqua chem, h1n1 and maxwag - much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom