Proper pH 6.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know that Unstable pH and/or drastic change in pH level is bad for your fish. My tap's pH is 7.2. GH and KH are also too high for my discus eggs to hatch(I think that is what to blame for that). Proper pH detoxifies heavy metals in the water. My question is, is the change from 7.2 to 6.5(I'm planning to keep it there from now on) going to be stressful for the fish or is using proper pH 6.5 to change pH level is not harmful like pH changes with CO2? I hope I explained this well. Thanks.

-Roy

My guess is that if you choose to regulate pH, it would be easier to do by cutting your tap water with RO to reach the desired parameters, vs using a chemical. JMO

I was just on another thread and someone advised me to use peat moss

that was my route, I gradually added granulated peat to my filters, and it reduced my pH from 7.6 to 6.8, reduced both the general and carbonate hardness, keeps both pH and hardness steady once established, and, most importantly, changes the water chemistry gradually enough that it didn't harm the fish...so I'd give tat a try before going the chemical route.

severum mama said:
My guess is that if you choose to regulate pH, it would be easier to do by cutting your tap water with RO to reach the desired parameters, vs using a chemical. JMO

I haven't tried that before but I'll do some research and might give it a try. Thanks.

Monkey Magic said:
I was just on another thread and someone advised me to use peat moss

I don't think that peat is going to help much or at all if you're doing 50%+ water changes everyday or every other day.

Last edited:
Monkey Magic said:
50% because of water quality or fish??

Both. Water quality for the fish. That's not even enough. Some discus people do 100% water changes every day.

I have heard that before i do every 2-3 days for my discus but only about 25% each time otherwise it just becomes such a chore for me Anyway, i know lots of people enjoy doing it

Argumentative posts have been deleted. Please refrain from any more arguing or this thread will be closed. Thank you.

If you decide to go the RO route, you can buy a unit pretty cheaply from eBay.

i use ro water to keep my ph at about 6.5. i have south american fish that like a low ph. i mix the ro and tap at 50/50. i also add seachem trace minerals to put back minerals that are depleted in the ro water. been doing this for 2 years with very good results. i get my ro water at a grocery store machine for $1.50 for 5 gals. i change out 20-25% every 3-4 days. i have all the same fish i started with minus 2. you'll need to experiment a bit to find the ro/tap mixture that gives you the ph you want. i would say NEVER put anything in your tank that "buffers" or gives you a false high or low ph. keep your water in the tank as pure as you can. also there is no substitute for clean water and that means consistent water changes every week along with gravel maintenance (cleaning). clean water will help you to avoid many issues with your tank and your fish. i hope this helps you. best of luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom